Menu

How many extracurriculars?

I don't want to fall into the trap of overscheduling my kids. I believe they need ample time to play and explore the world on their own. That is honestly one of the main reasons why I homeschool. Right now, my son and daughter (6 and 4.5) both do karate (Tang Soo Do). They both love it, it is convenient and it is year round. My son (6) also plays sports. He did basketball and is doing t-ball now. We also go to MOPS every other Thurs (morning) during the school year. We also do occasional field trips with the local homeschool group.

There aren't any kids who play outside in our neighborhood. My kids spend a lot of time playing together, but I would like them to meet other kids. Also, these activities provide fun. I just don't want to overdo it!

I am trying to decide if my daughter should either do dance or gymnastics and if my son should do Boy Scouts. I would love to hear your opinions.

We do quite a few activities, but we also only focus on the things our kids love. And that is where they get a good deal of their socialization, as there are only a few kids to play with in the neighborhood. I don't think you need do something because you think they *should*. I say focus on the things that make them happiest. Of course you have to balance your time and financial resources too. If you can figure out a balance between it all, you'll all be happiest. So my gut says to ask your kids what they want to try. Let them try those things and then decide what they like best.

My daughter did ballet from age 3 to nearly 8. At that point, I asked if she wanted to try musical theater, but said she couldn't do ballet at the same time (too many conflicts). So she tried the theater and decided she loved it and wanted to give up ballet. The ballet was a great skill to help her with theater (where they do dance, singing, and acting). But she also does martial arts (they focus a lot of self defense and we feel this is really important for girls, but she also loves it). My son tried it for a while but decided he didn't want to continue. No problem. We also do seasonal things - this summer we'll focus on swimming for both. They do piano year-round, but again this is something they enjoy but we also see as a skill we want them to have (so we're balancing their desires with ours). My son has tried soccer and T-ball. It's not something he wants to do full time but enjoys it when he's doing it. He's not yet six.

I feel like one of the benefits of homeschooling is that you can do more activities than ps kids and not feel like you're overscheduled. Still, if you live in an area with lots of classes and activities then it's easy to get overwhelmed anyway. I think different kids and parents have different optimal balances. Some kids do better when they're busier, others when they have more time at home. We tend to slowly dial it up, realize we're too busy, dial it back, realize we have room again, dial it back up... a constant balancing act.

Right now we've only got one so scheduling isn't so hard but we limit her activities to scouts and tennis. Scouts is twice a month but I'm a leader in it so it takes more of my time than hers. Tennis lessons right now are twice a week but will probably taper down to once a week of lessons or scheduled group play. DH and I will play tennis with her lots on our own. DH and I also have our own activities going on so we find that this is plenty to keep her busy. She also just really loves playing at the house with her cousin or a friend so I don't know that she'd actually like any more activities.

We limit two extra activities - extra meaning outside of homeschooler clubs/co-ops/groups. Right now he does scouts and a youth group. I was hesitant about the scouts, but it's been a really good fit for him. They encourage leadership and independence and he's really gotten to grow a lot with them.

I feel like one of the benefits of homeschooling is that you can do more activities than ps kids and not feel like you're overscheduled. Still, if you live in an area with lots of classes and activities then it's easy to get overwhelmed anyway. I think different kids and parents have different optimal balances. Some kids do better when they're busier, others when they have more time at home. We tend to slowly dial it up, realize we're too busy, dial it back, realize we have room again, dial it back up... a constant balancing act.

Thanks so much for this post. These are my thoughts exactly. I don't feel like we are overscheduled, but then I see all of these stressed out kids and I get worried! My kids do get to play for 3-4 hours a day even with the activities (usually outside).

We do tons (see my sig). My kids are still young, so school only takes an hour or two. They have plenty of free time outside, then an afternoon rest, and then we have an organized extracurricular every afternoon (usually about an hour). We are home by 5 or 530 most days, and DH doesn't get home until after 6, so we still are able to eat dinner most days.

I would think it would be too much if it interfered with school, outside playtime, getting enough rest, or eating dinner with the family. As it is, we are able to do it. It helps that most of these activities are about 5 minutes away. The kids would love to do more! I do make myself limit it to one activity per day though. :)

:iagree:

The balance of activities and how much to do is one of those things that I think is an ongoing juggling act. I recently have been wondering if we do too much but just last week my 8 yr old told me the best days are the "ones where we are super busy". I told him I thought he liked the ones where he could just stay home and read. He thought and said, yes, those are good too. My theory is that homeschooling makes it easier in a lot of ways to do a lot of activities because so much of the school day is less structured.

I've found our own balance changes with the season, particular activity and with the kids.