Menu

Whining & begging--another allergy question...

Sorry. It's just so bad today. I actually googled natural remedies, & if you really knew me, you'd understand: that is DESPERATE.

So I see that fish oil helps w/ inflamation & is rec for allergies, & some kind of nettle stuff is supposed to be good.

I took ONE Benadryl last night & still haven't come to enough to function, although I'm awake enough to feel the exploding pressure in my face. :glare:

Ok, so I'm all for completely unnatural remedies. When I feel yucky, I'll do pretty much anything. (Although I do nothing longer than a normal person because even stopping to pop a pill disrupts my day in an annoying way. I also don't like naps, so I'm a real grouch right now, having needed a nap almost every day for a week or two. Grrr.)

Anyway, point being, tell me what will work. I'm not going to bug w/ going to a dr, but I'm at least willing to go to a health food store. This is me willing to try something new. A very rare thing indeed.

Thank you. And sorry. I don't mean to be so whiney & everything. Actually, I've observed the pattern of tone of posts w/ our pg ladies on the boards & thought that having observed it, I'd be able to hide it when my turn came. Then I thought I'd just be able to avoid posting. Now I think I'm just glad y'all are here. :blush::crying::o

A lot of people recommend neti pots to help with allergies--you may find those at a health food store.

One doctor also told me that extra vitamin C helps with allergies as well.

Saline spray is also a quick remedy to help rinse out all the pollen and junk from your sinuses when on the go...

I haven't been pregnant since 1994, but doctors then told me I could take sudafed and tylenol when my allergies got bad...you might also check with your doctor about mucinex--just the plain mucinex. It's an expectorant that you will have to drink lots of extra water with, just like an antihistamine, but won't make you sleepy.

And definitely, the more you drink, the better to help with the pressure in your noggin. The Benadryl will dry you out, and you may sometimes feel worse than ever.

Hang in there, girl!:001_smile:

:grouphug: It's tought when your pregnant.

Shower and wash your hair after going outside or wash your face and hands. Also try getting rid of any indoor allergy triggers. A hot shower can help with the pressure. You might check with the local heath food store, but clear anything with your midwife or dr. via the phone.

I hope you feel better. There must be something out there to give you some relief.

A friend of mine's DH went from 2 doses/day of claritin to no traditional meds needed by going on nettles.

Fish oil boosts your omega 3's, which if nothing else is good for the baby's brain development, and might just help.

I thought I would chime in with my remedy. :D I wholeheartedly agree with the neti pot suggestion!! I have suffered with headaches my whole life, and this is the ONE thing that has worked the most consistantly for me. I have a combination migraine/sinus thing, and it is year round, but worse in spring and fall. In the past, I have taken prescription nasal spray plus pres. allegra D everyday, and even that wasn't always effective. I've done acupuncture, massage, you name it. When I would get a bad headache, I was totally non-functionig-which is fine if you don't have kids to take care of. I started using the neti pot, and it is like a miracle! I use it at least once per day, but if I go outside, or I feel the pressure more, I use it more. Occasionally, I will have to take a clariten d, but rarely. Now, you may have a sinus infection already, but I've been told they eventually go away. The neti pot can help this too, otherwise you might want to go and at least get antibiotics to clear it up, but you can use the neti pot in conjunction with it. It has also helped with the conjection when I've had a cold. TRY IT!!!!

Good luck.

A lot of people recommend neti pots to help with allergies--you may find those at a health food store.

One doctor also told me that extra vitamin C helps with allergies as well.

Saline spray is also a quick remedy to help rinse out all the pollen and junk from your sinuses when on the go...

I use a xylitol/saline nasal spray that I make - I don't use a neti pot, but just a regular nasal spray bottle that I got saline nasal spray in at Walmart and have been washing out and re-using the bottle. I usually make up a batch of spray in a 16 oz water bottle and use about 2 3/4 teaspoons each salt and xylitol (buy this online - it's about $7 for a lb).

Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine, so if you're having the itchy eyes and allergy symptoms like that, a big dose of Vitamin C should take care of it in about 15-20 minutes. I take a minimum of 500mg and if that didn't work, another 500mg.

I also go once a month to my chiropractor for accupuncture for allergy/sinus issues. I used to have to take decongestants daily because of sinus issues, and haven't taken any OTC (or prescription, for that matter) since I started that (it's been several years now).

Ok, do I need to go to a health food store for neti pot? What do I buy? Do I put it in tea? I've been assuming it's something that looks like grass that you boil & strain, but I actually don't know.

Thank you all, btw. I'm feeling a little calmer. Maybe I'm awake now? Dh is so sweet. He says he thinks Benadryl causes crankiness. So it's not my fault, lol!