Menu

Beast Academy

I'd like to get this to use during the summer. If you used it, what's your opinion of it? This is for my dd10 who uses Singapore Math. We still have a couple of weeks left finishing her current book. I'd like to switch things up in the summer and was thinking the monsters might keep her interest up.

Which level of Singapore is she using?

I'd be disinclined to use BA3 with an average 10yo. There are some interesting problems in there for a 10yo, it's just overall I don't think it would be a good fit.

Maybe Life of Fred fractions or decimals and percents would be a better fit?

Which level of Singapore is she using?

I'd be disinclined to use BA3 with an average 10yo. There are some interesting problems in there for a 10yo, it's just overall I don't think it would be a good fit.

Maybe Life of Fred fractions or decimals and percents would be a better fit?

She is finishing 3B.

Do it. My son is about halfway through 3A and he likes the monsters and retains the things we learn in BA very well. He does get very frustrated with the workbook, though. It's not so much that it's "hard," it just requires a lot more thinking than he's used to.

There are some good puzzlers mixed in with work that she probably already knows, as it introduces multiplication.

I also think the first part of 3A is quite interesting and "different". You can find some similar problems in Theoni Pappas's Penrose books, Marilyn Burns's Math for Smarty Pants / I hate math, and some of the things on CIMT website (creators of MEP), which might also be fun.