Menu

Please help- Chalkdust to TT? (cross-post)

Chris in CA

my dd is in 7th grade this year, she has done Rod & Staff from 1-6th and I put her in Chalkdust Pre-Algebra for 7th. She is bright, but math is hard for her. We are taking it very slow, only on chapter 3 right now and it took her 5 days to do the chapter review. I'm thinking about jumping over to Teaching Textbooks. Any thoughts? I am not a math person, so I'm in unfamiliar territory here as she is my oldest. I know TT gets a bum rap from some, but if she doesn't get Chalkdust maybe something else will be painless and she might actually remember it.

ps-I'm really not interested in Lials

You actually helped me choose to go w/ CD rather than TT for Pre-Alg. Does your dd watch -- and re-watch -- the dvd's? Have you called Dr. Mosely?

I was torn btw. using TT & CD. TT would be an excellent option for you, IMO. We had great success w/ TT 7 for ds 12 (although he did it in 4 months and it was mainly review). TT is so user friendly and easy on mom :) I don't think you could go wrong.

Let me know what you decide.

Also does she know and understand her addition, subtraction, multiplication and division cold? If not, Pre-algebra may have been too advanced for her.

My ds could have done pre-algebra this year, but he wasn't rock solid in the basics. So I put him in CD Basic Math. If your dd likes Dr. Mosley's style, maybe you can back-up. Otherwise it might be wise to switch to TT. But I wouldn't try to start in a level too advanced.

Dd loves Dr. Mosely, haven't called him, but perhaps I should. Maybe I should have gone with Chalkdust Basic, but right now I don't have the money to buy it unless I sell pre-algebra. I showed her TT today and she actually said she would miss Dr. Mosely, so maybe Basic would be the right way to go.

thanks for you help

Hmm, good questions, I really wish I would have bought the placement test. The only problem it that to go with Basic, I would have to sell pre-algebra, I thought she had a great foundation, but I can't tell because she keeps forgetting things I thought she knew (part of this is hormones, because it follows through on everyday life)

Why oh why does algebra have to be taught during puberty : )

thanks for your help

this problem.

The first is I drill my ds over various algorithms and make him work one problem for each algorithm. For example, I want to make sure he remembers how to average several numbers. He must tell me how to do it verbally and then work a problem I make up on the spot. He often can tell me how to do it, but blows the actual problem, so I require both. He is given the algorithm every day for 5 days, then once a week for 3 weeks and finally once a month for 3 months. If he makes a mistake at any stage, the card goes back to day one. I include various mathmatical terms as well to this memory work.

The other thing I do is 3 minute drills every day over a variety of simple, yet easily messed up things. For example, I'm drilling my ds over multiple digit multiplication and division. Even though ds knows how to do this, it's amazing the little mistakes ds can habitually make when working problems. But with the drills, he's making fewer of them.

I don't know if this will help your dd, but I think my ds is having fewer brain blips with the extra review drill.

Chris,

Have you thought about stopping CD for just a few weeks and doing review materials with something like the "Key to" series? I haven't personally used the books, but know many that have. They are inexpensive and you could target exactly the areas that you want her to practice.

Sometimes my kids simply need a breather from the same-old-same-old. Doing something different for a short time allows their brains to process what they have been learning w/o focusing on it. They come back to the ideas, a light bulb clicks, and it is like "no big deal."

http://www.keypress.com/x692.xml#Key%20to...%20Series