Menu

Is this too much or just right??

tiffanieh

5th grader

MM 4B, then onto 5A/5B

HOD Preparing which will include (Copywork in cursive, narration (both written and oral), studied dictation for spelling, History (one year world history overview), extension package readers, science, bible, vocabulary, art, poetry

R&S 4

Prima Latina

Some lit. study (either Memoria Press or Progeny Press, etc.)

3rd grader...same as above except he'll be doing MM 3A/3B and R&S3

Are you saying that it's too light then for my 5th grader??
No not necessarily, I'm just saying that maybe I'm crazy. LOL:lol:

My ds will be doing Preparing, R&S 3, SM 4a/4b, Spanish, the 4/5 DITHR readers, Apologia anatomy(with daddy), and I have extras for composer study, artist study, etc.

I bought the Prima latina last year at convention and never got around to implementing it. I just pulled it back out and was looking at everything and I hear what you all are saying, and perhaps I'm not giving my son enough credit, but it really looked challenging to me!? I thought it would be a great introduction into Latin, since we have never done any foreign language...no?

Is Christina Latina a big jump? Is it something he can do on his own, or teacher led? If it's teacher intensive I'd honestly never do it. I have so many teacher intensive things for next year that I can't imagine doing two separate Latin programs too.

Any advise??

I bought the Prima latina last year at convention and never got around to implementing it. I just pulled it back out and was looking at everything and I hear what you all are saying, and perhaps I'm not giving my son enough credit, but it really looked challenging to me!? I thought it would be a great introduction into Latin, since we have never done any foreign language...no?

Is Christina Latina a big jump? Is it something he can do on his own, or teacher led? If it's teacher intensive I'd honestly never do it. I have so many teacher intensive things for next year that I can't imagine doing two separate Latin programs too.

Any advise??

Have you looked at Visual Latin? How about Lively Latin? Of all the Latin I've researched these two are on the top of my list.

If you want to make something a little less mom-driven, you might switch that R&S to CLE.

I think your gut is right on wanting that gentle introduction to language learning. PL is definitely that. We did it over a summer and went into LC1 in the fall in a co-op class. Don't recommend LC1 if you're not feeling up to doing it yourself. First Form is much more structured. In fact, there are a lot of really nice options for latin now that weren't available when we did it! So maybe look at where you'd be going next and make your choice. If you haven't gotten PL done when you've had it a year, you're not likely to get it done this year either. If you do it during the summer, you can focus on it and knock it out. It's a lot of cognates and basic things. You can make flaschards with the words, play go fish, and cover it pretty quickly. Then in the fall go into something you won't have to drive.

Instead of the lit guides, google Mrs. Renz 4th grade book projects. This lady won Disney teacher of the year, and she has the most AMAZING, inspiring ideas!!! You're gonna love them, and they're easy to print and put in a folder to pull out as he reads his books. That's what we did at that age, and they were very memorable, highly recommend.

BTW, have you worked on typing yet? Don't forget to include lots of hands-on. It's still a very hands-on age. You have lots of years to do lit analysis in high school. Now is the time to build and create and do. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

They review prima in latina christiana quite a bit. Since you already own it, I would either move through it quickly for an introduction then start First Form or do Prima at a slower rate with younger child and first form with older. Unless you already own Latina Christina -- then prima for younger and latina older. I hope this makes sense.

Looks like my plan for my will be 4th and 5th graders next yr. We add on Latin for Children. It isn't too teacher intensive, but I do it with them so I can learn too! Are you subsituting for DITHOR with the lit studies?

I think its a full program with what you have planned. Especially if you throw in weekly activities or lessons on the fifth day!