Menu

Dinosaurs for older kids?

DD10 wants to do a unit study on dinosaurs. I did a search and have found a few threads on the K-8 board, but most of it is geared towards younger kids. Does anyone know of any great dino resources for a slightly older student?

You might want to dig around the Discovery Education and National Geographic websites. There are some free resources on both, like videos and lesson/project plans, on many topics including dinosaurs. Depending on how long of a unit study you want to do, you could either buy a nice Dino encyclopedia or check one out of the library and have your dd go through it TWTM-way, writing up fact lists or short summaries on the dinos that really interest her, or you can select a few from each of three periods in the Mesozoic Era for her. Dover has detailed coloring books, if you think she'd enjoy including a picture with her summary. Maybe put together a timeline too? If you google prehistoric time line, you'll find a nice one on National Geographic's website. You could also include a few bios on famous paleontologists. If you have a natural history museum near you, you might want to see if they offer any materials, presentations, or special events that might fit into your unit study. HTH

Netflix has Walking With Dinosaurs and Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, both good for a 10 year old.

As far as books, I would recommend:

National Geographic Dinosaurs

The Concise Dinosaur Encyclopedia

Extreme Dinosaurs

and, my personal favorite... Dinosaurs: The Most Complete, Up-To-Date Encyclopedia for Dinosaur Lovers of All Ages

Winterpromise has a new science program coming out called Dinosaur days. Though I guess that would be creationist and not secular. My plan for my ds turning 14 is to get that as our spine so to speak and then adding to it to make it more age appropriate. The boy loves dino's and wants to be a paleontologist so I will be adding a section on chosing paleontology as a career and including having him research what college entrance requirements are, what he has to start in (you do not start 1st yr college/uni in paleo), job prospects etc. The goal is to have it all culminate with him attending a 1 week paleo camp next summer in Drumheller.

If I do not get the WP program than I will use one of the many dino encyclopedias we have here and just work through it much like how many use kingfisher for history.

Winterpromise has a new science program coming out called Dinosaur days. Though I guess that would be creationist and not secular.

I'll take a look at it just in case it's usable for us. Thanks.

The goal is to have it all culminate with him attending a 1 week paleo camp next summer in Drumheller.

How cool!

If I do not get the WP program than I will use one of the many dino encyclopedias we have here and just work through it much like how many use kingfisher for history.

This may be what we end up doing, along with MamaSheep's notebooking pages, some documentaries, and various extras.