Menu

Do you use a specific program for....

fluency?

I was looking at some of the fluency programs recommended in the Overcoming Dyslexia book by Sally Shaywitz. Does anyone have experience with Great Leaps, Read Naturally, or Reading Assistant? BTW, the home version of Reading Assistant is on sale at HomeSchool Buyers Co-Op, but I think it ends by Monday.

Thanks!

We haven't tried the programs you mention, but we are reading phonics readers such as Phonics Pathways which are really helping. I'm also looking into the High Noon readers, and Reading Pathways with its pyramid reading exercises. The book Reading Rescue 1-2-3 also has some good ideas for helping fluency which we've implemented.

I have looked at samples of Great Leaps.... for now -- I am going to let my son pick things he reads out loud.

For Reading Assistant -- it looks very good. I am planning to keep sitting with my son while he reads out loud for now -- as long as it works. It is what I prefer, at this moment (lol) it is positive attention for him.

I think if he has a time when he does not want to be corrected by me or by an adult in general, that is when Reading Assistant would be so good.

I had a book from the library (can't remember which one) that recommended drawing horizontal lines in books to show "natural pauses" and punctuation. I have thought I would do that, and just have him read out loud.

I don't have plans to time him (at this moment). Great Leaps is one where the kids are timed and are motivated by increasing their speed and graphing it themselves. I think my son is a little young for this.

I am a little curious is the repeated timing thing is really motivating to kids, and at what age? I mean, I read that it is, but it doesn't seem like my son.

I looked very hard at a Read Naturally program about One Minutes readers, but decided not to only b/c price, and still might get it. The reading passages looked like ones my son would really like! But I just feel like -- at this point I can read to him and read with him for practices, instead of him doing it with a cd. He doesn't mind doing it with me.

http://www.oneminutereader.com/products/

I don't think that is the full program a school would have, but it is the one I looked at. I like the looks of it.

edit -- there was nothing at all wrong with Great Leaps, I just didn't think the reading passages looked like ones my son would really like

Edited by Lecka

I am a little curious is the repeated timing thing is really motivating to kids, and at what age? I mean, I read that it is, but it doesn't seem like my son.

I have strongly considered Great Leaps multiple times because I really like the idea of reading "phrases" - it seems other programs just have single words or regular text. But the timing thing has held me back - I would have to use a different way to say a page is "done" or needs to be repeated.

Also in general, I have not found "repeated readings" of passages to be very helpful for DD9. She does get faster as she repeatedly reads a passage. But that does not to translate to other readings. I know repeated readings has a strong research base for struggling readers but it has not worked here. I liken it to when she has written something poorly and then "reads" it to me correctly, not even seeing her mistakes - for DD, repeated reading seems more about learning the story and parroting that back rather than getting repeated practice at actually reading the words multiple times.