Menu

Flashcard programs?

I <3 Anki. It uses "SuperMemo SM2 algorithm" -- basically tries to bring something up just as you are about to forget it which is optimal for transferring something into long-term memory.

http://ankisrs.net/

Free for the PC/MAC. There is also an app for the iPad. Costs money but well worth it. Easy to sync the "decks", or sets of cards, between multiple computers and the iPad.

I just learned how to add sound files into the decks and am using it for my children's poetry memorization. Love it!!

I <3 Anki. It uses "SuperMemo SM2 algorithm" -- basically tries to bring something up just as you are about to forget it which is optimal for transferring something into long-term memory.

http://ankisrs.net/

Free for the PC/MAC. There is also an app for the iPad. Costs money but well worth it. Easy to sync the "decks", or sets of cards, between multiple computers and the iPad.

I just learned how to add sound files into the decks and am using it for my children's poetry memorization. Love it!!

Would you share how you add sound files into the decks? I'm setting up decks for each of my kids and myself for Spanish vocab and the one thing that is really lacking is being able to hear the word in Spanish.

Thanks!

Lisa

Would you share how you add sound files into the decks? I'm setting up decks for each of my kids and myself for Spanish vocab and the one thing that is really lacking is being able to hear the word in Spanish.

Thanks!

Lisa

It's so easy I can't believe it took me so long to learn it. You need to have an audio file for each separate card. When you are adding or editing the card, click the blue circle with a speaker, find the file, and it inserts a link for you. Or click the record button and you can record audio right there, though the sound quality will depend on your computer's recording ability. Make sure the text that is inserted is where you want it -- whether that's the front or the back of the card. When editing the card you can see the audio file name, but when you review the cards it just plays the sound for you. (You could do the same with pictures for Spanish instead of text for a non-reader or for a Rosetta Stone style immersion.)

The tricky part is if you are adding media (audio or picture) to a deck that is synced between computers (or iPads, iPhones, etc.). Then you need to have a dropbox account and store the media files there so each computer can grab them. But as long as you have the dropbox account set up and put the media files there, it works really smoothly. If you have any trouble, try downloading a shared deck that has media files and syncing between your computers so you can see how it all works.

Hope this helps!

Edited by RanchGirl

It's so easy I can't believe it took me so long to learn it. You need to have an audio file for each separate card. When you are adding or editing the card, click the blue circle with a speaker, find the file, and it inserts a link for you. Or click the record button and you can record audio right there, though the sound quality will depend on your computer's recording ability. Make sure the text that is inserted is where you want it -- whether that's the front or the back of the card. When editing the card you can see the audio file name, but when you review the cards it just plays the sound for you. (You could do the same with pictures for Spanish instead of text for a non-reader or for a Rosetta Stone style immersion.)

The tricky part is if you are adding media (audio or picture) to a deck that is synced between computers (or iPads, iPhones, etc.). Then you need to have a dropbox account and store the media files there so each computer can grab them. But as long as you have the dropbox account set up and put the media files there, it works really smoothly. If you have any trouble, try downloading a shared deck that has media files and syncing between your computers so you can see how it all works.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm not sure I have the patience to go back and add audio to all of my flashcards, but I may do it for a select few. What do you use to record the audio file in? Is the dropbox account the same as having an account to sync the cards or something else?

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...