Menu

Art of Argument and Critical Thinking

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean this Critical Thinking: http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=01201

If so, my oldest used it for 8th and 9th grade. He is a very strong reader. Although my youngest has finished the same materials his brother did he is a year younger and not as strong a reader so I decided he needed to do something else before hitting the Critical Thinking book.

I chose Art of Argument based on the samples and reviews of the program I read here. While it is possible they may cover the same material (I did not make a rigorous comparison of that), Art of Argument is at no where near the same depth and difficulty. It is possible for a child to go right to Critical Thinking as my oldest did, but if you do Art of Argument first, you can do Critical Thinking next and not worry about redundancy because the Critical Thinking books are at such a harder level.

I'm pretty sure in the 3rd edition of TWTM, there is a logic sequence that includes both the AoA and the CT books. Unfortunately, I only own the 2nd edition and only get glimpses of the 3rd when I can get it from the library. Maybe someone can look this up for you?

Lisa

I just checked the WTM 3rd edition and it has two progressions: normal pace and slightly slower pace. AoA is in the slight slower pace but it is scheduled after AoA. CT 1 and 2 are both scheduled for Grade 6 with AoA following in Grade 7.

HTH, I've been curious about this too. We are "logically challenged" around here so I think we are going to start with Building Thinking Skills and then move into AoA based on Old Dominion Heather's post.

I just checked the WTM 3rd edition and it has two progressions: normal pace and slightly slower pace. AoA is in the slight slower pace but it is scheduled after AoA. CT 1 and 2 are both scheduled for Grade 6 with AoA following in Grade 7.

HTH, I've been curious about this too. We are "logically challenged" around here so I think we are going to start with Building Thinking Skills and then move into AoA based on Old Dominion Heather's post.

Cynthia -

Thanks for posting this. This is what I thought the recommendations were. It does seem odd, though, that AoA would be scheduled after CT 1 & 2 if it covers significantly less material as some of the PP have stated.

Lisa