Menu

New update - Epilepsy

I wish I could say that my son never forgets his meds but I would be lying. My ds takes Lamictal XR in the morning and Zonegran at night. Sometimes he even gets them mixed up and takes the wrong meds.

Hopefully your son won't forget his meds very often!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

So far he's been great at remembering, but over the weekend, we went to Wash DC for a graduation trip for middle son. When he/we got off our regular routine, that's when they were forgotten... by all of us. Usually he remembers and sometimes we remember to ask - just in case, but all of us got off routine on our second night out. We have to figure out something for that.

This is a teen boy. I'd love to say he has great hygiene and always brushes his teeth, but honestly, this one would have him forgetting fairly often. ;) At home his meds are on a nightstand where he always sees them before heading to bed. We could keep his toothbrush there I suppose... though it might not make a difference with "remembering" to brush his teeth. A girlfriend helps with that, but not necessarily at night.

I think that forgetting them when the routine is different is a problem for just about anyone. Sounds like he's doing a good job!

:lol: at the teeth brushing ... and the difference a girlfriend makes. :001_smile:

:lol: at the teeth brushing ... and the difference a girlfriend makes. :001_smile:

Yeah, all I can say is it's been an interesting experience raising this guy... He marches to his own drummer, that's for certain. But I love him all the same. I've just given up on some battles... it keeps me sane. ;)

not repeating anyone.

First, my prayers go out to you. My son has epilepsy and I remember how earth shattering it was when we found out.

Second, take heart. There are some VERY, VERY good medicines out there. The hard part is finding which one is right for your son. It's kind of "trial and error".

Third, a good book to read is called "Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood, A Guide", by John M. Freeman, Eileen Vining, & Diana Pillas. It explains all the different kinds of epilepsy, the different medicines to treat it, and the long term prognosis for each type.

My son was on Trileptal for 3 years. It took 6 months to find the right "mix", then he was seizure free for 3 years and he was weaned off his medicine. He is completely off medicine now and has not had a seizure for over 6 years.

There is hope. While I'm not a doctor, your child's seizures sound like the kind my son had. That type is one of the easiest to "cure". (Although it is never "cured", it just goes into remission.)

I hope you can find a solution. I know how hard it is.

Hot Lava Mama

not repeating anyone.

First, my prayers go out to you. My son has epilepsy and I remember how earth shattering it was when we found out.

Second, take heart. There are some VERY, VERY good medicines out there. The hard part is finding which one is right for your son. It's kind of "trial and error".

Third, a good book to read is called "Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood, A Guide", by John M. Freeman, Eileen Vining, & Diana Pillas. It explains all the different kinds of epilepsy, the different medicines to treat it, and the long term prognosis for each type.

My son was on Trileptal for 3 years. It took 6 months to find the right "mix", then he was seizure free for 3 years and he was weaned off his medicine. He is completely off medicine now and has not had a seizure for over 6 years.

There is hope. While I'm not a doctor, your child's seizures sound like the kind my son had. That type is one of the easiest to "cure". (Although it is never "cured", it just goes into remission.)

I hope you can find a solution. I know how hard it is.

Hot Lava Mama

Thank you for posting! I'd love it if my guy could get off meds, but considering how quickly his seizures returned just from forgetting one dose, I have my doubts (totally uneducated doubts). Right now I'm glad they have meds that are appearing to work and am hopeful for a "normal" life. There is the side effect that he's quite tired, but hopefully that will get better as his body adjusts. He's not as moody now as he was when he first started the meds, so that's helpful. He's also still doing well academically. I even wonder if the meds helped him focus more academically, but it's hard to tell whether to give the meds credit or just maturity and general focus/desire on his part.

I'm going to check to see if our library or inter-library loan has that book. It sounds terrific for us newbies.

I'm glad to hear your guy is doing well!

Its not unusual for child or puberty onset epilepsies to be 'cured.' I think the number is 70% outgrow their seizures, but this usually covers people with one type of seizure. If your son has JME which has 3 seizure types then its not as likely. JME responds well to medication though. You should be able to completely control it.

Anyway, I'm glad things are going well.

Med reminders:

My MIL gets up early so she takes her night-times at dinner and her day-times with her coffee.

You can set an alarm to ring at 8pm until he gets in the habit.

Believe me, after awhile it becomes second nature.

I had a terrible time this spring remembering to take my new heartburn med on schedule (hard to judge its effectiveness if you don't take it at the right times! :glare:) and remembering whether I'd taken it or not! I'd think about taking it, then get distracted and not remember whether I actually followed through or not. Anyway, my husband finally got me one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lavender-Weekly-Turtle-Reminder-Clock/dp/B003BGEGSC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340298830&sr=8-3&keywords=weekly+pill+turtle

It works great, and has been so helpful (esp since I don't really take the meds with meals). It has 4 alarms (I use 2) which you can set and forget--you don't have to reset them each time they go off. The only downside is it's kinda big... ~8 inches long... so not very portable, but at least at home I don't forget my meds anymore.