Menu

How detailed are your timelines???

KristenR

Okay, I've been flirting with different timeline ideas for awhile now while I prepare for my dd's 1st grade year. I know we'll do SOTW with the activity guide. I already have the audio cd so we can listen to it once in awhile to shake things up a bit.

The timeline though-- I was originally thinking of doing a timeline book like my friend did. You can see it here. And although I really love the look of this book I don't know if my kids would really appreciate it just yet. My friend who did this book has older children.

So I was thinking of sticking to something a little less specific and descriptive and just doing the clothesline timeline like Angela at SatoriSmiles using the cards made by Lizards and Ladybugs.

I had originally envisioned doing this clothesline one anyway, but I had thought I would also do something more detailed as a book one or wall chart. Now I am thinking I will just skip the more detailed one and do that their next cycle around.....

Does that sound okay?

I think my children grasp the idea of a timeline. We have one for the universe that I modeled after Angela;s too.

Would I be missing anything but just sticking to the clothesline one??

We use this: http://www.currclick.com/product/304/Wonders-of-Old-Blank-Timeline-Book?it=1

I like that is stores in the book shelf with everything else. Also, though we try not to skip around, I like that it has prehistory-present. My son is currently interested in Darwin so, even though we are at 100 AD in history, he can add Darwin facts in his book too.

The only drawback is that it they can't just glance at the wall to see it. But, honestly, I'll soon have four kids...what would my house look like with four timelines hanging up?

I'd save the details for later, too.

You can put your narrations in a notebook and order them chronologically. That way you can get the details.

Or, you can memorize a history sentence for each chapter of SOTW. Hannah's homeschool helps yahoo group has both timeline figures and sentences, and cards (with the same timeline picture) modeled sort of after VP cards, but without the recommended reading and a little less detail.

I wanted to use a Book of Centuries because a) it will hopefully last throughout their schooling, and b) we have no room on our walls, ceiling, etc. I made my own BOC because I wanted to incorporate Jewish dates and time period. You can see samples here.

We update it from time to time, after we've read several Magic Tree House books and/or studied several new artists/composers and/or completed several chapters in SOTW. It's going great so far, even though my kids are probably too young for a BOC...