Menu

explaining homeschooling

Ruth in CA

We went to a college information meeting for some of the colleges my dd is interested in and asked the question "Are there any extra forms that homeschooled applicants would need to fill out?" The response from the admission representatives was a mix of more SAT subject tests and explain to us in detail what your education was like so that we can compare it to a more traditional education. When a college rep says explain homeschooling, what kinds of things (for you experienced at college aps) are they expecting to be in there?

We went to a college information meeting for some of the colleges my dd is interested in and asked the question "Are there any extra forms that homeschooled applicants would need to fill out?" The response from the admission representatives was a mix of more SAT subject tests and explain to us in detail what your education was like so that we can compare it to a more traditional education. When a college rep says explain homeschooling, what kinds of things (for you experienced at college aps) are they expecting to be in there?

The Common Application actually has a homeschool supplement with specific questions. One is why you chose homeschooling, another is what is your educational philosophy and the third is about your grading system and outside verification/validation of those grades. There are word limits for answering these questions. I had written lengthy essays for each question then had to whittle them down to succinct replies.

Beyond that, most everyone who posts here has put together and sent a several page document of course descriptions with book lists. Some people have sent portfolios, too, but not all colleges want that nor do the admissions representatives have the time to really look at them.

We also explained homeschooling during interviews with admissions reps. The interviews always started with just my ds, and he would go in armed with his homemade transcript and a resume, for courses and extra-curriculars, respectively. They usually asked him about homeschooling. When I'd be invited in to join the interview I would ask if they had any questions or concerns about the courses on his transcript.

-------------------

a correction and further comments...

the philosophy and reason for homeschooling are one question, grading the second and outside validation the third question.

Also, you get to write more in the guidance counselor letter, and there is no word limit to that.

Is that the kind of information you need? Think about your philosophy and why you do what you do and you'll be able to explain why you homeschool -- it is just a matter of reducing it to an intelligent sound byte!!

Edited by JennW in SoCal

Thank you! I appreciate the response. I am a little concerned about these schools (2 of which my dd is very interested in) because there seemed to be a lot of ignorance and or hostility toward homeschooling. Have you are anyone else encountered that and if so, (and your dc wanted to go to that school) how have you handled it?

Thank you! I appreciate the response. I am a little concerned about these schools (2 of which my dd is very interested in) because there seemed to be a lot of ignorance and or hostility toward homeschooling. Have you are anyone else encountered that and if so, (and your dc wanted to go to that school) how have you handled it?

First, I would say it is important to make contact directly at the school and ask if they have an admit officer who works with home schoolers. Sometimes that makes a world of difference.

However, it is also possible you will find there is no such person and what you perceived at the fair is how the school is. If so , I encourage you to post on the college forum. This is information that other home schoolers need to know. Applications aren't cheap in terms of $ or time so knowing that a school may harbor prejudices is important.

The school that seemed to have the least understanding of homeschooling was a state U here in NC. The private colleges and universities to which he applied were welcoming of homeschoolers.

My son's transcript did not fit the template of the homeschool supplement of the Common App (maybe it has changed?). Thus I uploaded his transcript and used the School Profile and Counselor Letter in the basic part of the Common App as the means to explain our homeschool philosophy and my son's experiences. I sent a separate document (8 pages) listing books, Teaching Company courses, outside classes, etc.

Two college admissions officers told me that they appreciate receiving additional documentation which allows them to understand homeschooled applicants. Let me be honest: if my son had attended the local high school then applied to these colleges (not the state U), he would still have to sell himself and explain what he had been doing as a high school student. The local high school is simply not on the radar of college admissions officers in the way that some other schools are in this state. I don't think that the state U was interested in the extra stuff but the Honors Program there was.

I agree with Candid about finding an admissions counselor who works with homeschoolers. Some schools have reputations as being hostile to homeschoolers but maybe your student wants to apply anyway. I would visit and schedule a meeting with the department chair of your student's intended major. Your student's interest should trump any admissions counselor's prejudices.

Good luck,

Jane

Hey Jane was that UNC? I've heard they are home school unfriendly, but it is hard to say what that means since they are more difficult to get in overall.

The only person I know who applied also got in, early admission, and here's the interesting part they used a nonstandard transcript (portfolio and descriptions) written by the applicant himself (and I don't think he told them he wrote it). But he did score well on the SAT.

Based on the Carolina 101 day we recently attended (invitation only basedo on test scores), I'm not sure how friendly UNC is to anybody! Their admissions person was condescending and almost rude when he spoke to a large group of prospective students in an auditorium format.

Here's information from the UNC website.

How do you evaluate home-schooled students?

We welcome applications from students schooled at home and impose on those students no special or extra requirements. At the same time it's important for home-schooled students to recognize that their credentials may lack some or most of the information typically found in the transcripts, grades and academic programs of students schooled in other, more traditional settings. For that reason, we recommend that home-schooled students do their best to help us see their academic performance in the clearest possible light.

In recent years successful home-schooled applicants have chosen one or more of the following methods: taking courses in local college or community college; joining organizations in their community; providing samples of their academic projects (for example, essays or research papers) and detailed descriptions of their courses; sending more than one recommendation from non-family-members who know them well and can comment specifically on their capacity for high-level academic work; taking and submitting optional SAT Subject Tests.

Overall, home-schooled students do fare well in the admissions competition at Carolina. In 2008, 87 home-school students applied for first-year admission; 41 were admitted and 15 enrolled and in 2009, 66 home-school students applied for first-year admission; 33 were admitted and 16 enrolled. For Fall 2010 admission, 77 home-schooled students applied, 30 were admitted and 22 enrolled.

Keywords: home-schooled, evaluate, home, school

What was your take on the UNC policy?

Personally, I like it. I appreciate that they are not mandating anything in particular (like three SAT subject tests). I like that they are giving a variety of examples of various kinds of evidence homeschoolers could provide of achievement.

• 2 weeks later...
And, how are you home schooling in CA? For example, is your home a private school, and you file the annual affidavit?

I homeschool through a psp and we're using cc classes and also a educational service through a local university.