Menu

S/o tell me about teens selling on ebay

Dd 15 wants to make $. She comes up with all kinds of ideas, but frankly they will take a lot of my time to get going. I am excited for her to do them, I just don't have the time to invest right now. The other teen making $ thread brought up teens selling on eBay. We have items to sell that we would be willing to give her a large % if she would list them for us. How could she build up her reputation on eBay as a new seller?

We've sold about 300 items on half.com, Amazon and eBay. My son also helps to sell special discards on behalf of our local library.

A very responsible teen can be trained to do this. Our 18yo ds has helped me for several years.

Begin by selling a $10 (or so) DVD or book. Amazon has higher traffic but higher sellers fees. Half.com is more direct. You can look at similar entries to get an idea of how to describe the item. Be accurate in describing flaws in the item.

Buy or re-use bubble envelopes.

Just start small, and learn along the way. You need to try to maintain that 100% positive buyer feedback, which can teach the teen to write courteous, grammatically correct correspondence.

I would wait on eBay auctions until she is more proficient. Ebay auctions require sharp photographs, and a bit more aggressive customer service, and accurate postage estimation!

We've sold my dh's old matchbox cars & other toys, used book sale finds, and surplus homeschooling materials. You will find, though, that used books usually do not bring windfall profits . . . but the income can be earned in a passive way, using free time.

Teen's job would include: photo of item (if not a book), listing item, printing packing slip, keeping records for Tax Time (misc. income), taking the pkg to the post office, confirming shipping, leaving feedback. I would suggest that you oversee to reduce reactions from angry buyers. :glare:

I'm sure others have much more experience, but here's a quick summary from our experience. The 3 selling sites I mentioned have extensive tutorials and forums for your questions getting started.

Best wishes!

Teen's job would include: photo of item (if not a book), listing item, printing packing slip, keeping records for Tax Time (misc. income), taking the pkg to the post office, confirming shipping, leaving feedback. I would suggest that you oversee to reduce reactions from angry buyers. :glare:

I agree. Ds is given defunct computers, fixes them and then sells them on e-bay.