Menu

7th grade math?

So we have just finished Teaching Textbooks math 7 and Key to Percents and my daughter says she doesn't want to do teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra next year for 7th grade. She doesn't like to listen to the lecture was her reason for wanting to change. Any suggestions for a decent Pre- Algebra? No Saxon (used it in private school and did not like it) Also have already tried VideoText and that was a no go. Anyone use Horizon's Pre-Alg? She seems to like to workbook approach and does not need a lot of repetition.

:confused:

We are finishing up 6th grade math. We are using SM year 6, Life Of Fred Pre-Algebra 1 and some other supplements.

For next year, a 'pre-algebra' year, we will be working through the 'Key To Algebra' series, working through two TOPS Science math units (Math Lab and Probability) and Life of Fred Pre-Algebra 2.

Lial's could be a good fit. No videos or online instructions necessary. All she needs is the book which many use as a workbook. The teaching is all right there and is very clear.

The negatives on Lial's are that the print is small, and the pages are big and full. Also the language and examples are on an adult level. It isn't a problem in the instructions, but the word problems are often about home loans, insurance, business profits, etc. You can buy it for practically nothing used though and try it.

I actually have the Keys to Algebra here - I will get that out and look at it. We did not love the key to percents and ended up skipping quite a bit. I am going to a convention in May so hopefully I'll be able to look around. I just assumed we'd continue on with Teaching Textbooks next year so I was unprepared to change!