Menu

Please explain Tapestry of Grace to me...

mommyto4QT

Hi, I am not currently homeschooling but would like to start this fall. I will have an advanced 2nd grader & a K student.

I am really trying to find curriculum that is usable with different ages, affordable, Christian, and academically sound. Since I'm new to homeschooling, something that helps guide the day or activities would be great too.

I've heard a lot about Tapestry of Grace. In fact, several of my area co-ops require it. However, the TOG website is VERY confusing to me. And it seems expensive. And, the version the co-ops require is not resalable.

So, tell me about TOG. I know it is history. But, it seems so expensive for just 1 history curriculum!!

The first place I'd start is with the free 3 week sample from the TOG website. When you have it in your hands, and read through what a typical week would be like, it's easier to understand. There are also several videos on how to implement the curriculum here.

It is expensive, but not moreso than something like Sonlight. It's more than just history, though, and you only buy the Year Plans once. It includes vocabulary, writing, literature, worldview, geography and church history. There are sample daily schedules, but I wouldn't say it helps to guide your days.

There are opposing views on this, but I think the best time to start TOG is when your children are young, since there is a significant learning curve for the teacher.

You can also contact Lampstand Press and ask for a sample.

I hope this helps!

Congratulations on beginning to homeschool! :001_smile:

With TOG, you first look at your reading list and plan when you will do the reading. There are different sections of reading. When you are first starting, you will focus on the core history and literature books. Then you may later add in the in-depth history, worldview and activities. If you are doing the mapping, you plan a time for that. With little ones, you may want to try lapbooks (never done them myself).

The place where TOG really shines is in the Socratic discussions in the D and R levels. You wouldn't be doing that with your little ones, but it is important to understand this part of the philosophy. IMO, this is the reason to invest in TOG--because it gives you the ability to lead your children in discussions about history and classic literature without having to actually read everything yourself.

I would caution a first-year homeschooler from jumping into TOG. It takes that whole first year to learn what really works in your family (e.g., student learning styles, teacher preferences, educational philosophy, scheduling, etc.), and it is a huge investment to make if you don't already know what exactly your familiy needs.

We love TOG but it is not a lite investment upfront. However, being u use it for three cycles, the actual planss are not that expensive in my opinion.

The books....that is another story. :D If u have a good library system and/or are a good bargin shopper, u can save a ton! :)