Menu

American History Resources - Spies, Weapons, Wars

atozmom

I am looking for some resources to use with my ds next year. He will have just turned 9 when we start.

ETA **Since we covered the Amer. Rev quickly, I think we are going to be back tracking a bit and starting there. Still looking for the same types of resources though.** We will be starting with the Civil War and progressing from there. He picked out these books from the library yesterday, Duel of the Ironclads and Civil War Sub, and loved them. So these are the types of books I will be looking for. He is fascinated with weapons of all kinds. When we did our Medieval study we made swords, shields, catapults, etc. I would love to find a book about the weapons used in war on a 9year old's level. I have seen a few, but they were a little overwhelming on information for him. He also loves all things spies and military vehicles.

He does not like lapbooking/notebooking. So any of those resources are out. However, he loves hands-on, building projects. I do plan on finding a set that we can use to create a battle scene, something like this. Anything visual for him is a huge plus.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am working on about 4 hours of sleep right now, so please forgive me if I don't respond back right away. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by atozmom
correction

Ultra Hush-Hush and Spying and the Cold War are two that my third grader read last week. Also, as far as building things, have you seen Mini-Weapons of Mass Destruction. (thanks to Karen in CO, I bought this one. :) )

HTH-

Mandy

Thanks. Looking on Amazon there are a few of the Mini-Weapons books. These look fun.

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

Ok, so after looking over a lot of resources, I think we are going to rewind back to the American Revolution. We only covered it quickly anyway and it seems like so many of the great "spy" stories start there. Our library contains the entire set of Liberty's Kids and I know ds will enjoy those.

Sooo, anyone want to add anything else now that we aren't starting with the Civil War?

This site has information about battle simulations using figures. They have tons of free downloads (color & black/white) on there too for all sorts of different historical battles.

HTH,

Amanda

Thank you! I can't wait to look over this site.

A couple of Cold War era books - Top Secret: Spy Equipment and the Cold War and The Ultimate Spy Book by H. Keith Melton

Thank you, I had seen the first on Amazon, but the the second one. I will look into that too.

Have you looked at the SL books for cores D & E? They cover that time period.

Also, what about the HSITW TT cds for Rev. War & Civil War? They do have lapbooking stuff but also games, projects, hands on stuff. :D

Thanks for the reminder about the SL catalog. I have looked at the TT cds, but really don't want to spend the money on them if we won't use the whole thing. However, they are still on my growing list. :tongue_smilie:

Ultra Hush-Hush and Spying and the Cold War are two that my third grader read last week. Also, as far as building things, have you seen Mini-Weapons of Mass Destruction. (thanks to Karen in CO, I bought this one. :) )

HTH-

Mandy

I just bought the first of the Mini-Weapons books. I think my son is going to love it.