Menu

Rod and Staff 3 or 4?

coffeefreak

Which Rod and Staff English for Average 4th Grader?  

1. 1. Which Rod and Staff English for Average 4th Grader?

• R&S 3
    • R&S 4
    • 1/2 of 4 and save the rest for 5th grade

My oldest has used Rod and Staff since 4th grade and done beautifully with it. However, she is the type of kid that ALWAYS capitalized correctly, learned basic punctuation quickly, and diagrams sentences as if she was born knowing how to do it.

My youngest is the exact opposite. She is at the end of 3rd grade (not using Rod and Staff) and still struggles to remember capitalization and end sentence punctuation. I was able to borrow Rod and Staff 3 from the library, and I'm thinking maybe I should use that with her next year and progress in order from there. I read the HOD forums last night and discovered that Carrie spreads many of the R&S English books over two years.

What would you do with an average English student? I guess I never considered Rod and Staff "advanced," but I'm learning not to use my oldest as a plumb line for other children.:lol:

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dorinda

PS I guess I should say, I'm not interested in any other programs.:blush: We have tried others throughout the years and keep coming back to R&S. I just think it's the best.~D

I would go for 3 too. I have an older that everything L.A. comes easy for her too. She is in 4 this year. It is still easy for her, but the diagramming and stuff wasn't covered until I was in middle school, so I know it is an advanced program. I don't know if you will use the writing portions, but for a child still struggling with capitalization and such, there is an awful lot of writing in 4. It is a big jump up from 3.

I voted for 4, since she'll be in fourth grade. The 4 book will repeat needed information and take it further. It's normal for 8-9yos to not have capitalization and punctuation rules down pat. Pecking at it year after year will get her there. This recent thread had a similar concern.

I voted for 4, since she'll be in fourth grade. The 4 book will repeat needed information and take it further. It's normal for 8-9yos to not have capitalization and punctuation rules down pat. Pecking at it year after year will get her there. This recent thread had a similar concern.

Thanks SilverMoon.

That thread gives me something to think about. I don't have to buy it right now, and I already own 4, so I think I'll ponder it for a while. We did BJU this year because I knew she wasn't ready for Rod and Staff. It was a bust. I don't like their English program at all, but I know it's not to blame.:D

Blessings!

Dorinda