Menu

Is there a high school literature curriculum like this?

Here's the deal:

I am looking for:

1. a lit curriculum that doesn't coordinate with any other subjects- just literature. I have what I'm using for the other subjects!

2. something that is based on great books

3. something that will give me good discussion questions and essay prompts

4. AND *MOST IMPORTANTLY* give me the answers to those discussion questions so that if I can't read the book, I can at least hold a semi-intelligent discussion...

I like Windows to the World- but it doesn't use great books...

I like TOG (which I already own but don't use because it is too much!)- but I don't want to use the history and writing ends of all of it

I like WTM's book list- but I don't have time to read all the books and come up with intelligent discussions

Can someone help??? Pretty please?? And if nothing like this exists, please could one of you smart ladies please write a curriculum like this- by September of 2012! LOL!

Tiffany

I don't know as there is any program out there that has ALL of what you want. But in this past thread I summarized the "big names" of Literature programs. And here are a few ideas:

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

1 year course; covers the 3 books of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in depth; some analysis of excerpts of Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; and some analysis of poetry; a writing assignment idea about every 2 weeks; includes fill-in-the-blank comprehension questions and vocubulary worksheets and quizzes; detailed notes which cover in depth: background information, themes, and literary elements and analysis, etc.; several discussion questions for EACH chapter WITH answers for every single one!! Plus, the 12 units of great additional material (what makes an epic; what is the fantasy genre; the analysis of Beowulf, Sir Gawain, poetry; etc.).

Windows to the World can be expanded with the download by Jill Pike (here is where you purchase the download) to include 4 longer Classics, in addition to the 6 classic short stories and several poems in the original book -- by adding the download material, this might work for you if you like it.

Scott Foresman Literature

"I LOVE the Scott Foresman literature textbooks. We did U.S. last year, and are doing English Lit. this year. Dd reads the selections, then we go over them together... Everything is laid out in the teacher's edition. Open and go. Great explanations. Most of the pieces are great, and you can pick and chose what you want to read and it still works fine. The back has explanations of all of the types of essays you can write about the pieces. I got both the student's and teacher's edition for under $20 used." -- Susan C.

And if you are willing to use individual guides and select your own works, these guides fall close to your requirements:

- Discovering Literature: Challenger Level -- great discussion questions, answers in back, sometimes the answer in the back is "answers will vary"

- Progeny Press -- some discussion questions; many linked to looking up/comparing with Scripture verses; often the answer in the back is "answers will vary"

- Portals to Literature -- designed for classroom use, so a lot of it is classroom type discussions or exercises, but there is enough to make it adaptable; as I recall, these usually have answers, with sometimes "answers will vary"

- The Great Books guides (NOTE: a guided Q&A format -- question, then a 1-3 paragraph answer -- BUT, from a worldview perspective rather than a literature perspective; some of these are better than others; sometimes hard to tell where to start/stop reading and where in the work you are to match up to the guide)

BEST of luck in your Literature program search! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Lightning Literature may fill the bill--there are answers to the discussion questions in the teacher's manual. However, while I find the topic worksheets and writing assignments to be worthwhile, the discussion questions are a bit shallow and don't necessarily require lots of thoughtful analysis.

There are other option that comes to mind is to buy book-specific teacher's guides (such as litplan at www.tpet.com, there are lots of others). All you have to do is find a vendor you like, and write a reading list.

--Janet