Menu

If you've used SOTW with middle schoolers..

What things did you do to make it more grade appropriate? My husband does a lot of our homeschooling, and I'm trying to make it easy on him for next school year- but we've got our rising 4th grader with dyslexia and our rising gifted 7th grader (who read all 4 SOTW books this year for fun). It'd be nice if they could do history together and also take advantage of middle school with a more fun approach (before we have to worry about making transcripts:D).

Just asking for anyone out there who has still used SOTW with middle schoolers, what did you do to make it more challenging?

Thanks in advance for ideas :)

Paula

Edited by pwhaley
typo

We will do a 2nd round of SOTW since I have a younger that will still be in elem. But we will actually have the middle schooler do all of the logic stage work from WTM using the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. It will be more like SOTW will be her jumping off point. Then she will read the KHE, do an outline, do a timeline, do some mapwork, then do additional reading and summarizing from that book where the elem student will use SOTW as her main text, narrating directly from it. Then we will do the occasional project from the A.G. with both more than likely during our art period.

I tried following WTM for 5th grade but it didn't last...DS needed less independence and it was just too much work. But a possible option for your child with dyslexia...I now have him listen to the cd's and then he narrates into the recorder on the computer. He then can listen to his own narration, but hits pause as needed to get it properly copied down. It takes forever, but it used to take forever anyhow and would be filled with errors, not to mention poorly written. We are suspecting he has dysgraphia now but this has helped tremendously. He gives beautiful oral narrations and now they are actually making it to the paper intact.

Brownie