Menu

Language arts for 6yo early reader?

I'm trying to plan next year for my 6yo (7 in November...should be 1st grade in the fall). She reads fluently at probably a 3rd-4th level, spells about 4th, and writes about 2nd grade. I've decided she doesn't need spelling. I plan to have her read the American Girl series for history, but I have no idea what to do for language arts. Does she need reading/phonics instruction? (it doesn't seem like it) She could probably use some practice with alphetizing and similar skills...what else? Any good resources?

--Deidre

I just use a good grqmmar and comp program and we read. We are working through Spelling Plus to learn spelling rules. I let him read what ever he wants. Right now that is harry Potter, a few weeks ago it was picture books. He reads well, but he is still just six. I just keep a variety at home.

Sounds similar to my 6 yr. old. We finished The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading more than a year ago and haven't done phonics since then. My dd is also a natural speller, but we are working through the Spelling Workout workbooks to go over the rules. It also teaches alphabetizing, proofreading, etc. We finished First Language Lessons in K and will be switching to Rod & Staff 2 next week. R&S requires more writing, and I think that will be good for her. We also do daily copy work and are planning on adding in dictation soon.

Both my boys were always years ahead in reading but still needed help with writing. I just worked on the writing side (including spelling if necessary, handwriting, parts of speech, punctuation) and let them read at their level. Your child is a bit young, but from age 7 I used Galore Park Junior English. Before that, I used SL LA, but it was a long time ago and the materials will have changed a lot.

Laura

I very quickly learned that I didn't need phonics with my early reader, but we are doing a strong phonics-based spelling program. I noticed that once dd was reading at about a 5th grade level, she began to have a hard time sounding out new words. SWR is great for this, and it is very flexible to accommondate the asynchrony of an early reader who doesn't have similar writing skills.