Menu

what spelling program for a 4th grader who has never done formal spelling?

Along the same lines, Spelling Plus is much less expensive, but only contains word lists through about 6th grade level. So, if you think Spelling Power looks interesting but expensive, maybe you could look at Spelling Plus.

If you really want to use spelling workout, why don't you look at samples and see which level looks like it would be a good fit.

HTH-

Mandy

You might like Spelling Power. I bought an older edition used on Amazon. The author recommends it for around 3rd and up, but it's designed so you place the student where they need to be. It's a bit of a pain to get through all the reading and setting it up, but you figure you only need this one book for spelling for the rest of your homeschooling days.

:iagree: I bought the 4th edition new and I hear it has less to read to get started. I have used Spelling Plus too and liked it. Spelling Power is a better fit for us, even with the higher price. :tongue_smilie: It is cheaper at some of the stores so shop around. I recommend it because it is just one book and the levels are lettered, so a fourth grader wouldn't feel bad if they started lower than grade level.

Along the same lines, Spelling Plus is much less expensive, but only contains word lists through about 6th grade level. So, if you think Spelling Power looks interesting but expensive, maybe you could look at Spelling Plus.

If you really want to use spelling workout, why don't you look at samples and see which level looks like it would be a good fit.

HTH-

Mandy

:iagree:

my 10 year old is in grade 4. spelling plus is great! we actually use the go-along dictation resource book (that accompanies spelling plus. i actually sold spelling plus since the dictation book has the words listed too and i feel fairly comfortable with any questions that might come up). we started using spelling plus and the dictation book in 3rd grade and then we switched to bju spelling this year. we finished that and now we've returned to spelling plus words and dictation. it's such a simple program & just makes much more sense! i've added an easy schedule for my daughter. on day 1 she writes the words 3x. on day 2 she alphabetizes them. on day three she unscrambles them and has a word find[/url]. on day 4 & 5 we do the dictation (about 10 sentences each day, or roughly 2 paragraphs in length). it works great! she loves it. i love it.:D i make all of her worksheets here

Edited by mytwomonkeys