Menu

Mastering Mathematics... user opinion's please - the good and the bad!

angela&4boys

I am waffling between a few curriculums (MM, MUS, and MCP) for my boys and am hoping for a little insight into Mastering Mathematics.

I wanted to add that I am looking for a no-nonsense, fluff-free program. Something that introduces a new concept (preferrably through manipulatives), has a few sample problems, and then reasonable amount of independent problems (not 5, but not 50 lol). They also need something without a lot of color or distraction. A bonus for me would be a streamlined, fluff-free TM. Is there such a program?

Your thoughts are appreciated,

I wanted to add that I am looking for a no-nonsense, fluff-free program. Something that introduces a new concept (preferrably through manipulatives), has a few sample problems, and then reasonable amount of problems (not 5, but not 50 lol). THey also need something without a lot of color or distraction. A bonus for me would be a streamlined, fluff-free TM. Is there such a program?

Yes, I think Singapore fits your criteria. I think the texts are basic and stick to the topics-then you have a few practice problems on that topic. Some people need to supplement w/additional problems as needed. I consult the Home Instructors Guide sometimes. I also like the low cost of Singapore. We started w/2A US edition which was in color but not too distracting. The books after that have are less colorful.

I am waffling between a few curriculums (MM, MUS, and MCP) for my boys and am hoping for a little insight into Mastering Mathematics.

I wanted to add that I am looking for a no-nonsense, fluff-free program. Something that introduces a new concept (preferrably through manipulatives), has a few sample problems, and then reasonable amount of independent problems (not 5, but not 50 lol). They also need something without a lot of color or distraction. A bonus for me would be a streamlined, fluff-free TM. Is there such a program?

I've been going over math curriculum for my kids... I've considered, looked at, tried, bought/resold, researched many! We're using Mastering Mathmatics in the fall. No color, no fluff, games, maniupulatives, flash cards, fact wheels, answer keys, parent manual... It fits your wants well. Besides just the topics mentioned in the titles of the student workbooks, there is also time, money, etc. Oh and there are word problems as well. :o)

Meredith

We use MM as well. The DVD instruction is very basic but very thorough. When we first started using it my son thought the teacher/program was so dull. But after a few lessons it grew on him and now I will find him laughing out loud at the teachers corny sense humor. He tells me he really likes the teacher:)

What I really like is that it is a mastery program, has uncluttered pages & has a reasonable amount of problems on each page. I see my son making steady progress wth this curriculum. He finally understands math & his confidence in solving big equations is growing. That's really what I've always wanted from a math program.

I have tried other programs with him and none have worked as well as this one. But my math inclined daughter could probably learn from any curriculum & succeed.

This program is working well for us!

Tiff

Last I checked Mastering Mahtmatics does not have a DVD.

I've been using MM for a few years with 3 kids. It does fit your needs very well. The parents manual (one book for all levels) has teaching suggestions and answers to all the problems in all workbooks. The manipulatives are all included. They are printed on cardstock and might need some cutting and setting up at first. We used them at first but then I tended to forget about them. The fact wheels are great, imho.

I did pull my oldest dd out somewhere around 6th grade. She just really didn't like it and got bogged down in the later parts of the mult, div., and fractions books. I moved her on to Lial's Basic College Math and she is doing great.

There are two ways to go through the books: either one at a time or via grade level. I've done it both ways. IF you plan to take standardized test at the end of the year then I'd suggest going with their guide for staying on grade level. You can still do one book at a time but you stop each book at the end of the current grade level (or bounce books more often for variety). My 12 yr old ds likes to switch books for a change of pace.

The add and mult books have sections for each new set of facts (adding 3's or mult the 3's). I like to use page 2 of these (simple facts) as a timed drill sheet. So we will use a transparency sheet daily till we are done with the section and then do it on the paper. I'll keep track of date, time, and score on the opposite page just so we can see the improvement.

hth

MM is Mastering Mathmatics. It doesn't have DVDs.

What curriculum are you using?

OOps! That's what I get for posting when I should have been in bed:lol:

We are not using mastering mathematics, we use sytematic mathematics.

Sorry for the confusion.:001_huh:

Tiff