Menu

Best spelling for 2nd grader with mild dyslexia?

ChristusG

Oldest DD is going is in "2nd grade" right now...working ahead in some areas and behind in others. We finally got her reading a few months ago since she has mild dyslexia. She's up to the Magic Treehouse chapter books and other books of similar difficulty. I don't think she's at grade level, but she is doing 100% better than what she was a year ago. Now that we've got her reading, we need to begin working on spelling. She's very good at spelling phonetically...problem is, not everything is spelled that way LOL.

What's the best spelling for a 8 year old with mild dyslexia? Anyone have any suggestions?

I already own Apples and Pears...just wondering if there was anything any better out there? We started book 1 and only stayed with it for a bit....she was progressing quicker than the book was going so we stopped it. I guess I could try her on one of the higher level books and see how that goes.

I really enjoy All About Spelling for my mild dyslexic son. It also work well with my youngest and he's not dyslexic.

You can also look into Sequential Spelling. Another homeschool family I know use it with their dyslexic child.

BTW you may want to ask over at the special needs board. They are full of wisdom and suggestions!