Menu

Logic of English

Vida Winter

I am using this program with my girls ages 9 and 11. I wanted something similar to Spalding to use with my girls, but I needed something more structured. This has been great for us, it gives us the structure I wanted, very similar to Spalding, and both my girls are learning. The only thing we have found is the lessons are long, but we just work on a lesson for a set amount of time, and when our time is up, we put it away until the next day. My girls have liked the games as well.

AL

I am using this program with my girls ages 9 and 11. I wanted something similar to Spalding to use with my girls, but I needed something more structured. This has been great for us, it gives us the structure I wanted, very similar to Spalding, and both my girls are learning. The only thing we have found is the lessons are long, but we just work on a lesson for a set amount of time, and when our time is up, we put it away until the next day. My girls have liked the games as well.

AL

Thank you for your reply. Are you using the cursive program also?

My girls had practiced cursive before, so I just bought the workbook in cursive, but not their cursive program. I found that we spent enough money on this program, and I figured if they needed practice with some letters in cursive I would print pages off from Donna Young's website. This is the cursive I had taught my girls. http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/big-cursive.htm

AL

DD7 writes neatly but with difficulty because she concentrates too hard (very neat and slow) or not at all (big and sloppy) and has a poor pencil grip. We have tried several grips and I correct her more times a day than I can count. I have never seen a child struggle like this.

She tends to want to hold the pencil straight up and down in her fist. This is not how she writes but when I look away this is how the pencil ends up. I thought that by learning cursive now and dropping manuscript, she would loosen up and her grip would become more natural. Maybe I should have asked about pencil grip in another thread.

As for the main LOE program, I would like to know if it is of an appropriate grade level for a child beginning 3rd grade in the fall (covering all language arts mechanics).

DD7 writes neatly but with difficulty because she concentrates too hard (very neat and slow) or not at all (big and sloppy) and has a poor pencil grip. We have tried several grips and I correct her more times a day than I can count. I have never seen a child struggle like this.

She tends to want to hold the pencil straight up and down in her fist. This is not how she writes but when I look away this is how the pencil ends up. I thought that by learning cursive now and dropping manuscript, she would loosen up and her grip would become more natural. Maybe I should have asked about pencil grip in another thread.

As for the main LOE program, I would like to know if it is of an appropriate grade level for a child beginning 3rd grade in the fall (covering all language arts mechanics).

Third grade is probably ideal for LOE. We are using it now and it really is an all-one-program. The grammar has you label parts of speech. No diagramming. We skip the grammar lessons for this reason but that would just depend on whether you prefer the traditional diagramming or not. We love LOE. My dc have a lot of fun with the games from games book. It really adds a lot to the program. The handwriting portion is totally separate, you could really use any program. My older uses italic cursive and my middle ds uses Cursive First.

hths

Ds will be starting 3rd in the fall and this is exactly how we intend to use LOE. I already have the set and can't wait to get started. The only reason we are waiting is because I chose to go with the cursive workbook and want to teach him some of that first. I am just using my Startwrite CD until I look at the LOE cursive program at our convention in May. The only thing I plan to add to language arts is WWE.