Menu

Kindle Fire or Ipad for educational apps?

My 2 girls both have the opportunity for a $500 grant for special needs adopted kids in Michigan to be used for something educational/entertainment/family strengthening, etc.

My first thought was to get an ipad---maybe 1 to share and use the other grant money for a vacation to share, etc. Then we thought about 2 ipads so they would each have their own. When looking though, I came across the Kindle Fire again and was wondering how those would compare--esp. being $300 cheaper. That would allow each girl to have their own and still have money left for horseback riding lessons, a vacation, other purchases, etc.

Does the Fire offer good free or cheap apps for math games, etc? Are the free streaming videos any good? Anything educational?

I think the ipad is a much better choice for educational apps. I love my Fire but my son doesn't like the smaller screen. It is a bit laggy on games compared to the Ipad. Plus there is a much larger selection of apps, especially apps specifically for special needs kids. I would try to find a deal on an ipad2, maybe a refurbished one.

DEFINITELY the iPad. I had a Kindle and sent it back after two months. I thought it could satisfy my desire for an iPad at a much cheaper price. It couldn't even compare. Not only for the app choices, but the Kindle's touch screen is much less exact than the iPad's. I'm now the owner of an iPad 3 and very happy!!