Menu

Anyone done a year of geography for 5th?

kwickimom

I am slowly torturing myself for History for 5th grade :)

We have done ancients for 3rd and then HOD Preparing for 4th. We do not want to do ancients again next year and the 2 programs I cannot decide between for Middle Ages will be better off for my dd in 6th grade (HOD or HO)

So I am really thinking we will take a year and do geography and then she has 6th 7th and 8th to the last 3 years of the history rotation.

I also will have a 1st grader next year. I was thinking of doing Trail Guide to World Geo and GTG.

Any ideas? Anyone take a year off for geography? Blogged about it? I didn't really find any good threads, maybe I missed some?

We are doing this next year. I decided to go with a spine that is a 3 year rotation (K12 Human Odyssey) so 5th will be world geo. I'm going to be adapting Glencoe World Geography for use with her. DS will be doing unit studies using the Carson-Dellosa Trip Around the World series plus library resources and possibly Confessions of a Homeschooler's Expedition Earth.

• 1 month later...

We did it this past year for 6th grade. I was going to use it to replace history, but my son wanted to didn't want to drop history. It ended up being more part of our astronomy/earth science since we did Physical Geography. We use Runkle Geography. I LOVED it. The student workbook that is meant to learn the locations of countries was not good at all (maps very hard to read, mainly). So we did that part on our own. We didn't learn about the specific countries as we went along, but he learned locations, capitals, lakes, rivers, mountains, desserts, etc. of countries in Africa, the Middle East, and western Asia. Another reason we didn't use the Runkle student workbook is that they go through pretty much all the countries in the world in a year. I didn't think he'd retain that info and wanted more review and physical features of the countries.

I think Runkle is generally for grades 6-9, but I think a sharp 5th grader could do it.

We used My Father's World ECC in 5th and it was a great year. I recommend geo games (you can buy or make them) and http://sheppardsoftware.com/ (VERY helpful). We also put up a map of the world shower curtain and the kids learned a lot by frequently looking at it.

This. My boys (and I!) learned a lot. We cycle thru this again for 7th (we did it in 2/3rd) and I'm actually looking forward to doing it again with some tweaking for logic stage.

We did it this year for 6th grade. We used Trail Guide to World Geography for daily questions and a few activities and then used Chapter 13 of The Ultimate Timeline and Geography Guide. These are some of the activities\assignments that she completed:

Basic map skills.

Various maps including climate, region, population, countries, major cities and waterways, etc.

Fact pages for major countries.

Documentaries of countries, landmarks, and cultures.

Short reports on interesting aspects of countries.

Some activities such as recipes or art from certain regions\countries.

I tried to organize it so that she followed a certain pattern of activities each week. This made it easier for her to do most of the work on her own. Toward the end of the year she fizzled out a bit and we did some consolidating in order to complete the work a little quicker. Overall it was a good year and she learned a lot. I think she has a really good base of knowledge now to be able to make some connections during the next couple of years of world history.

We haven't but I wish we had. My upcoming 5th grader would love to do that but I don't think it's going to work for now. Maybe in 6th grade. This is one of the only things I wish I had done differently. I regret not doing a year of geography & cultures with my older son. As it is, maybe we will be able to do that for their 9th and 6th grade years.

It is something I am seriously considering for my rising 6th and 4th graders. I think we would use something like the Enchantment of the World series (widely available at libraries), then add in fairy/folktales (dd9's request), mythology (ds11's fascination), stories and documentaries, not to mention crafts and cooking, and mapping. I am thinking about using this book for organizational purposes.

After that, I think we would do a three year cycle with the K12 Human Odyssey series. We've covered ancients fairly well, done some American history, etc. I don't think my kids are quite ready to dive into history again, and would benefit from a year of geography and cultures.

I just need to give myself permission to do this!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by momto2Cs

It is something I am seriously considering for my rising 6th and 4th graders. I think we would use something like the Enchantment of the World series (widely available at libraries), then add in fairy/folktales (dd9's request), mythology (ds11's fascination), stories and documentaries, not to mention crafts and cooking, and mapping. I am thinking about using this book for organizational purposes.

After that, I think we would do a three year cycle with the K12 Human Odyssey series. We've covered ancients fairly well, done some American history, etc. I don't think my kids are quite ready to dive into history again, and would benefit from a year of geography and cultures.

I just need to give myself permission to do this!:tongue_smilie:

I am the OP and totally forgot I started this thread :) I am now going to use HO Ancients I think and do geography over the summer. Maybe :lol: