Menu

I did it. I ordered a MbtP concept.

Mandy in TN

Now, can those of you who have used MbtP tell me things about it that worked for you.

Last week Classical Conversations wrapped up and ds is also wrapping up T4L. He finished his religious studies, Little Lore of Light, a couple of weeks ago. He finished Spelling Plus in the fall and has pretty much finished his workbooks. We still have 6 weeks of US history and coordinated literature, but honestly that doesn't take much time.

So, it looks like our "break" will be April, May, June. During our break we continue to school, but we do something fun that we wouldn't be able to squeeze in during our scheduled 180 days.

This year we will be doing MbtP, Age 8-10: Concept 3: Similarities and Differences. I let the little man help me choose. He wanted to do the science kits that come with this package, so here we are. We will take several scattered weeks off for the week of second son's graduation and day camps, so this 9 week concept should fill the time between now and the second week of July when we will return to regularly scheduled programming.

Tracking says that it should be here by the end of the day Monday and we will begin on Tuesday. I am cautiously excited. So, talk to me about MbtP. :001_smile:

Edited by Mandy in TN

:lurk5:

I am thinking of getting the literature package. The one with Tornado included. I'm not sure which level it is right now, though. I'll be eager to hear people's thoughts.

Age 8-10: Concept 3 contains Unit 1: Asia and Africa, Unit 2: Rocks and Minerals, and Unit 3: Europe. I purchased the science/ social studies and the 3 literature units- Akimbo and Sadako, Holes, and Charlotte in Giverny.

Ds read Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes last summer, but we will do it again with the guide. He will probably get more out of it the second time. When he read it, he came to me :001_huh: surprised that she died. He said that he really thought in the end she would live. Too many happy ending children's books I suppose.

Mandy

We've been using various lit units from them this year. While they all follow a similar format, they've been wonderful for introducing my son to more story concepts and digging deeper into the books. There are enough hands on activities to fuel a spark in him that gets him excited about the writing bit. I am very disappointed they didn't publish a Hunger Games guide like they had scheduled.

My son has been using MBtP for a few years now. He likes the curriculum a great deal, although the science units often are a dissapointment to him for some reason. :glare:

We worked through the Charlotte in Giverny unit this year, and he loved it. It was a great unit, and he had fun with it.

We've been using various lit units from them this year. While they all follow a similar format, they've been wonderful for introducing my son to more story concepts and digging deeper into the books. There are enough hands on activities to fuel a spark in him that gets him excited about the writing bit. I am very disappointed they didn't publish a Hunger Games guide like they had scheduled.

Thanks for this information. :)

My son has been using MBtP for a few years now. He likes the curriculum a great deal, although the science units often are a dissapointment to him for some reason. :glare:

We worked through the Charlotte in Giverny unit this year, and he loved it. It was a great unit, and he had fun with it.

Good to know, since this is one we will be using. Also, I really enjoyed perusing your blog. Your kids are so cute and fun! I wish my little man were interested in something. If I were to take photos of what interests him, they would be photos of him sitting in front of the computer.:tongue_smilie:

I've never seen this abbreviation before. Could you please enlighten me as to what it stands for?

Yes, Moving Beyond the Page.

Thanks for the information.

Mandy

Well I can't tell you about the older grades because we just started 5-7 but so far we like it. :D

One word of caution - there are a LOT of activites contained in each lesson. A common problem I've heard from those just starting out is that their kids can't get it all done in one lesson/day. So don't be suprised if your son has that problem as well -I've heard there is a lot of writing in the older levels - which takes some getting used to if you haven't done a lot in your homeschool previously KWIM.

The younger level that we use is supposed to be "lighter" then the older levels as an introduction to school and so forth but I find even then we usually don't get through all the activities of a lesson in one day. We normally spread each days lesson over 2 days otherwise I feel we are rushing through everything just to get it done and that is not what I am looking for -I want my kids to be able to focus on each activity as a project in itself without feeling they need to rush through and tick the box that it is done.

It's easy to slow down with MBTP though so it's not really a problem -just takes a lot longer then the touted three weeks to get through each unit. Right now we are on lesson 6 and heading into our 4th week with it so that's how long it has taken us to do 6 lessons :lol:

However my kids seem to be really enjoying it - so I'm excited to keep going and see how we like it by the end of the year (we bought a whole years curriculum)

Enjoy - it is a lot of work but it is also FUN. Half the time my kids don't even realise how much work they have done because it was so fun - they tend to have a lot of stamina to stick their projects out and complete them when they enjoy them.

I finally, after looking at MBTP for the last 2 years, bought a concept to try. (Concept 1, 7 - 9, with Lit.)

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm nervous too.

I'm really hoping that this is IT!

Is there a IT? (I have not given up on this yet!)