Menu

Anyone use Usborne's "My Very First Art Book"? What do you think of it?

pitterpatter

We have the Usborne Book of Famous Paintings (for older kids) and adore it if that is any help. Generally we have loved all the Usborne books we've gotten, so I don't think you can go wrong with that one for your young children. That being said, there is painting in Famous Paintings I skipped with my seven year old: Guernica by Picasso. It is a very violent-looking anti-war painting. I am sure there is no disturbing content in a Usborne book for very young children however.

Thank you. I just hate having to judge a book by it's cover (well, description). I don't understand why Usborne doesn't provide previews for all books. Our library doesn't have it, so I can't check it out. I wish Amazon did free returns with Prime.

We have the Usborne Book of Famous Paintings (for older kids) and adore it if that is any help. Generally we have loved all the Usborne books we've gotten, so I don't think you can go wrong with that one for your young children. That being said, there is painting in Famous Paintings I skipped with my seven year old: Guernica by Picasso. It is a very violent-looking anti-war painting. I am sure there is no disturbing content in a Usborne book for very young children however.

I have a number of the Usborne art books (but not this particular one) and I LOVE them all! I always find them fun, interesting, and inspiring. Keep in mind, they're not lesson books. But you could go through and just pick an art project each time. I always love the results! Usborne is one of my favourite book companies by far.

Awesome...thanks! My library has a similar one, so I'm going to check it out.

We have a similar book but not that exact one. The title is similar but it has some art history followed by projects to do in the style of the artists. I highly recommend us borne art books. The projects work and are self explanatory.

I have My Very First Art Book. The contents page describes the book like this "This book is full of art to look at, and arty things to make and do. Start out by drawing, and then explore painting, printing, making paper cut-outs and making models."

The five areas of art that it covers are Drawing, Printing, Painting, Cutting and Pasting, and Models. In each area the book shows a famous piece of art and then describes/instructs the reader how to use the same technique.

Another Usborne art book that is very close in style, but actually includes a bit more about the history artist/art piece is Art Treasury.

I am an Usborne consultant, so feel free to ask any other questions about Usborne books. If I do not know the answer I will find out the answer for you.

Oooh, awesome! I borrowed "Art Treasury" from the library. I really liked the layout and feel of it, but it's too advanced for DD right now. I see it as something we'll grow into.

I recently discovered this little bit of preview for "My Very First Art Book". Is this pretty much how the book is? No individual project instructions...just a few ideas for each technique? No real discussion of notable artists?

718amX7NsvL.jpg

718%2B0QYwvUL.jpg

What about "The Usborne First Art Book"? Is it more like "Art Treasury" or "My Very First Art Book"?

5130kTLhiyL._AA160_.jpg

Thanks so much for your help! :D I appreciate it.

I have My Very First Art Book. The contents page describes the book like this "This book is full of art to look at, and arty things to make and do. Start out by drawing, and then explore painting, printing, making paper cut-outs and making models."

The five areas of art that it covers are Drawing, Printing, Painting, Cutting and Pasting, and Models. In each area the book shows a famous piece of art and then describes/instructs the reader how to use the same technique.

Another Usborne art book that is very close in style, but actually includes a bit more about the history artist/art piece is Art Treasury.

I am an Usborne consultant, so feel free to ask any other questions about Usborne books. If I do not know the answer I will find out the answer for you.

I was asking about an art book just recently and wanted to share something- I was looking for more of an art collection book. I didn't want curriculum but just a place top be able to look up artists and get an idea about their style and some examples of their work.

I was all set to buy some of the recommendations on Amazon (you can see the thread here) but at the last minute I decided to plan an impromptu ride to our local Goodwill Bookstore and I got everything I wanted for under $20! I got amazing books in great condition as well as some additional impulse purchases!