Menu

I've drooled over HOD..

Jinmi

a couple time but never took the leap to actually use it. I didn't realize what their plans were for the upcoming guide.

In the fall we'll be using the new Modern guide for my rising 7th grader. :D It fits in perfectly! Next year I had already planned R&S Grammar, Write with the Best Volume 2, Apologia Who am I? (all continuing from this year).. It also uses SOTW 4 and All American History which we've loved! It covers the time period (1900's-Present) that we need, we also we're going to study Chemistry this year.

I'm sold! It uses a lot we already going to use, but it's all planned and will include a lot of extras (a president study!). Thanks to the poster that suggested it! :hurray:

I use to be a drooler, but two years ago I took the plunge and let me tell you I am just as excited and in love with it as at the beginning. Next year we will be doing CtC and MtM.

Welcome aboard Hoddie!:)

Adrienne

lol Hoddie!!!!! :D I'm just luring since I have been drooling too and finally bought Bigger and am not as impressed as I had thought I would be.

I keep looking at the catalog I have and I want to dive right in. However, I've already committed to do MFW ECC with my younger two for next year.

The year after I plan to do CtG using HOD with my youngest as a 7th grader b/c her sister will be a 9th grader. If I really like it I'll do two years with younger daughter for 7th & 8th grade. Too bad there isn't a high school tract for HOD. I will then do 9th & 10th grade using MFW plans if I'm not drawn to anything else.

I can't wait to try HOD in 2 years!:001_smile:

One of the reasons I first decided to try HOD was because Carrie uses so many of the resources that I already love or ones that I hoped we would get to use someday. :001_smile: I really love the inclusion of some of the Memoria Press books and also Diana Waring's audios.

HOD sort of already has a high school track. Both the RevtoRev and the new Modern guides can be used in HS, for 9th and 10th grades with a little tweaking. There are already extension packages or other options for those guides that beef up the Bible, History, LA, and Science. Carrie also makes suggestions for other things you can do to add content in any of the areas or to find suitable substitutes for various things. For example, she suggests the student read The Federalist Papers in RevtoRev, even though it's not scheduled in the guide. Lots of those kinds of recommendations on the HOD board. She also responds to emails and will make specific recommendations for a particular student's needs. I LOVE the personal attention that this company provides to their customers.

My oldest child will actually use RevtoRev in 9th and the Modern Guide in 10th. And, she is continuing to write the guides so we should be able to cover 11th and 12th with HOD if we want to. It is to my advantage that her oldest son is a little older than mine, so I can get suggestions from her for HS. The projected plan for 4 years of HS is on their website. Those years won't require so much tweaking for HS but some are able to use the currently available guides for their young HSers.

Edited by Donna T.

One of the reasons I first decided to try HOD was because Carrie uses so many of the resources that I already love or ones that I hoped we would get to use someday. :001_smile: I really love the inclusion of some of the Memoria Press books and also Diana Waring's audios.

HOD sort of already has a high school track. Both the RevtoRev and the new Modern guides can be used in HS, for 9th and 10th grades with a little tweaking. There are already extension packages or other options for those guides that beef up the Bible, History, LA, and Science. Carrie also makes suggestions for other things you can do to add content in any of the areas or to find suitable substitutes for various things. For example, she suggests the student read The Federalist Papers in RevtoRev, even though it's not scheduled in the guide. Lots of those kinds of recommendations on the HOD board. She also responds to emails and will make specific recommendations for a particular student's needs. I LOVE the personal attention that this company provides to their customers.

My oldest child will actually use RevtoRev in 9th and the Modern Guide in 10th. And, she is continuing to write the guides so we should be able to cover 11th and 12th with HOD if we want to. It is to my advantage that her oldest son is a little older than mine, so I can get suggestions from her for HS. The projected plan for 4 years of HS is on their website. Those years won't require so much tweaking for HS but some are able to use the currently available guides for their young HSers.

Donna -

This is great to know about HOD potentially being available for high school in a few years. We're going to run out of the SL cores I want to use by the time my son hits 10th grade and I'm always looking for high school options.

Lisa

Is the projected 4 year plan in the new catalog? I get so much more out of print than online. I feel like I've combed it thoroughly but I'll check again.

The projected HS plan is on pg. 10 of the 2011-2012 catalog, in the Scope and Sequence Chart, under the "Looking toward High School" section at the bottom. It also can be found at the bottom of this page.

Is the projected 4 year plan in the new catalog? I get so much more out of print than online. I feel like I've combed it thoroughly but I'll check again.

I think the new catalog will be mailed out at the end of this month. I had looked at HOD on-line a couple of times but only a couple of times because it did not appeal to me at all. I even went to a convention once with my sister and she picked up a HOD guide from one of the vendor's tables and asked me if I had thought about HOD. I said, "No, definately not for us." Then at some point I got a catalog and I placed my first order almost immediately.