Menu

OMG Bread Help please!

OK So I followed the directions and recipe here..

Except I used all wheat flour (instead of whole wheat and white), honey instead of sugar, and butter instead of shortening.

Now it looked *GOOD* going into the oven. However it deflated some after is baked a bit.

Why?

White and whole wheat flour are not necessarily interchangeable in bread recipes. If you want to make whole wheat bread, find a recipe that uses only whole wheat flour.

I didn't look at the link, but when I make whole wheat bread, I always add Dough Enhancer and Vital Wheat Gluten to help the bread be lighter and fluffier. Otherwise, you may end up with a doorstop.

Oh, and butter and shortening aren't interchangeable...and neither are honey and sugar. You basically changed the whole recipe. Bread making is chemistry. It has to be exactly right or it won't work.

OK So I followed the directions and recipe here..

Except I used all wheat flour (instead of whole wheat and white), honey instead of sugar, and butter instead of shortening.

Now it looked *GOOD* going into the oven. However it deflated some after is baked a bit.

Why?

As mentioned, you made some huge changes and in baking, you have to fine-tune instead of just subbing ingredients 1:1. Also, how you measure your ingredients makes a big difference. I prefer to use a scale but if you use a measuring cup, it helps to know if the recipe writer would have you scoop or sprinkle the flour into the cup. For example, one book I have specifically mentions she uses a 5 oz. cup for AP flour, so if I used measuring cups, I would dip the cup into the flour container and level off. For King Arthur recipes, I would sprinkle the flour into the cup since they use a 4.25 oz. cup (for AP flour) in their recipes

Here are a bunch of King Arthur Flour links. I learned to bake bread using this site and chatting with them. Hope some might be of help! :)

A whole wheat bread recipe. There are others, but this one has a step-by-step blog.

Their contact info if you need to chat with a pro.

Info on measuring ingredients. And a weight chart.

Some of their baking primers.