Menu

Online High School Help

My child is currently enrolled in K12 through a state charter. She is taking classes a grade level above and all honors classes, but this is just to easy for her. She is currently in a pool of applicants for Stanford Online High School, but the competition is fierce and global, so I don't hold a lot of hope for her being accepted even with near perfect ACT scores and a 4.0. I need some alternatives. She wants to continue with some kind of online school, any suggestions for a challenging and rigorous high school program?

Keystone online high school. I go there and take 5 APs if she is very advanced put her in all APs it is much harder than honors in fact I would say it not 1/10 as hard as AP. Honors gives a challenge without the crazy workload. It trust me when she hits those AP classes she will stop in her tracks just like I and many of my peers have done. The combination of hard info and lots of course work is deadly.

The classes she's taking through the current school will be accredited, right? Why not just let her learn for the joy of learning with the online resources?

For an accredited high school, you might just do a search for others that are available beyond the Standford one.

The classes she's taking through the current school will be accredited, right? Why not just let her learn for the joy of learning with the online resources?

For an accredited high school, you might just do a search for others that are available beyond the Standford one.

The joy of learning, for this kiddo, is being challenged . She's a super achiever type, the kind that wants to be the best, the Alpha female.

Keystone online high school. I go there and take 5 APs if she is very advanced put her in all APs it is much harder than honors in fact I would say it not 1/10 as hard as AP. Honors gives a challenge without the crazy workload. It trust me when she hits those AP classes she will stop in her tracks just like I and many of my peers have done. The combination of hard info and lots of course work is deadly.

I've heard of Keystone but wondered how colleges viewed them. What do you think? Thanks for the thought. I'll be Googling Keystone next.

Questions: How do AP classes work? Does one need to take the AP exam to get the extra credits? What is the difference between taking AP classes as opposed to taking classes at the junior college?

If you would like to see how the classes I suggest you go to my blog: http://averagetravelingteen.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-keystone-looks-like.html

You do not need to take an AP Exam to get credit may I ask what classes she is looking at. As for being competitive I can relate I tend to thrive when I am surrounded with people who want to challenge me and love (did i mention love?) competition.

You do not need to take an AP Exam to get credit may I ask what classes she is looking at. As for being competitive I can relate I tend to thrive when I am surrounded with people who want to challenge me and love (did i mention love?) competition.

Classes: English, World History, Music Theory (She just needs to take the exam. She has completed 10 levels of music theory with honors from MTAC).

My daughter has been well challenged via the AP classes at K12. Honors courses aren't much different than the typical courses with the addition of the two Honors projects. AP courses( especially Bio and Chemistry) have been very challenging.

This is interesting. Do you know if the UC system accepts these courses. I guess if you're taking the AP exam it doesn't matter? I do know that the UC system does not accept a science class with an online lab. The reason she is in honors classes is CAVA would not let her take more advanced classes as a freshman. 10th grade honors classes are too easy for her. Are you using K12 charter or K12 independent?

Is it better to take AP classes and do the exams or go the junior college route?

If you would like to see how the classes I suggest you go to my blog: http://averagetravelingteen.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-keystone-looks-like.html

You can put the course on your high school transcript without taking the end of course exam.

But colleges will only give college credit if you meet certain score thresholds (depends on the school and the course).

I added a couple tags that will lead to other discussions of AP courses and exams.

FWIW, you can also take the AP exam without taking a course that has the official AP label (the syllabus must be audited by College Board to get the label). I would be concerned that a student taking an official AP course but not the exam would be viewed as not being up to par. In most schools that offer AP courses, all of the students do take the test, even if they don't score well.

Are you using K12 charter or K12 independent?

My daughter is using K12 independent (the International Academy). I'm not really sure about junior college vs AP tests but dd has taken all of the AP test over the past few years. HOWEVER, she isn't taking all of the AP tests this spring. She's been accepted into her #1 choice college (as well as the other 12 she applied to:001_huh:) and has a serious case of "Just want to be done with high school." Our state doesn't use any K12 charters which is...a mixed blessing.

Are you using K12 charter or K12 independent?

My daughter is using K12 independent (the International Academy). I'm not really sure about junior college vs AP tests but dd has taken all of the AP test over the past few years. HOWEVER, she isn't taking all of the AP tests this spring. She's been accepted into her #1 choice college (as well as the other 12 she applied to:001_huh:) and has a serious case of "Just want to be done with high school." Our state doesn't use any K12 charters which is...a mixed blessing.

I suspect there is a HUGE difference between K12 International Academy and a K12 charter. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sebastian (a lady) Thanks for the heads-up on the finer points of AP classes-very helpful.