Menu

Lively Latin & Galore Park's Latin Prep

kailuamom

They are for different age ranges. If you want to combine you 8 and 11 year olds, I'd go with Lively Latin. If it's just the 11yo, then Latin Prep is great. The first chapter of of Latin Prep looks easy, but the difficulty really ramps up. I wouldn't use it below age 9; probably 10 is a better starting point.

Best wishes

Laura

Anybody have experience / browsed through both? I had never heard of either until today and they both look great! I am looking for an engaging Latin program for the coming year.
Lively Latin is much slower and gentler than Latin Prep and is appropriate for Gr. 2 (with a strong reader) or 3 to 5 or 6. Latin Prep would probably be appropriate for Gr 4 or 5 and up. Lively Latin 1 & 2 don't cover as much grammar as Latin Prep 1, but a child completing both levels will have picked up a substantial vocabulary.

I use Lively Latin with my 10yos, Latin Prep with my 14yos, & SYRWTL Latin with my 16yod. Each dc is doing well with their respective curriculum. Latin Prep moves a bit too deep, a bit too fast for my 10yos; but Lively Latin is just the right mix of Latin, grammar, & history. Latin Prep is just right for my 14yos working with me.

Both progams are a much better fit for my dc than LC1 & PL were last year. My dc found those programs boring.

JMHO,

Thanks for all the info! I will do some more research into both..and decide which will work best for each dd or for both. It is good to know that Latin Prep probably won't work for both.

Is the only place to get the Latin Prep the Galore Park website? With the exchange rate getting all of the books/keys/audio looked to get a bit pricey. I just want to make the right decision...I shelled out a bundle for Latin Primer two years ago after MUCH research and my kids just couldn't get into it. The dvds were just too boring they said. lol

Thanks, again, for all the great advice.

Is the only place to get the Latin Prep the Galore Park website?
No, popular alternatives are Horriblebooks.com (discounted books, cheap shipping, but only periodic orders) and Book Depository (free shipping). We've been very satisfied with Horriblebooks.com.

No, popular alternatives are Horriblebooks.com (discounted books, cheap shipping, but only periodic orders) and Book Depository (free shipping). We've been very satisfied with Horriblebooks.com.

I will add that Amazon.com had the text book last time I looked. It's not as good a price as Horriblebooks. but might be easier to purchase if you just wanted to check out the text more thoroughly.

I've used Latin Prep with 8 and 9yo students, and they did well, but the students I had who were that young were both academically very strong and had had some previous Latin instruction (Minimus, Latina Christiana, something like that...). I had looked at Lively Latin and felt that for my students who had already studied Minimus and Secundus, there wouldn't be much new material. I also didn't like the price or the ebook format.

I've loved Latin Prep and will be using the next level this coming year.

I've ordered several times from Ray at HorribleBooks and also from Book Depository. Both were good experiences, and I expect to use both again in the near future.