Menu

New and wondering about the benefits of...

Hi all,

I plan to start homeschooling my children beginning in August. My son is currently attending 1st grade in ps. My daughter is just finishing up preschool at our church. I am curious about homeschooling playgroups and if they are a necessary or particularly helpful part of your homeschooling experience and why. Thanks for your help!

I think it is different for each family.

We think they can be fun, and useful, but would not consider them necessary.

We tend to get together sporadically with families we are friends with who also homeschool. We are not part of a homeschool group that meets regularly with scheduled activities.

Because we had plenty of play time with church friends, relatives, and other family friends, the homeschool playgroups weren't that much of a necessity for my daughter when she was young.

However...they were a necessity for ME!:D

It was wonderful to be able to spend time with other mothers who were going through the same things I was and also to be able to benefit from the expertise of those in the group who had already been homeschooling for several years with their older children.

Every new homeschooling mother I have ever met went through moments of the same doubts and panic that I did. It was so helpful to have someone hold my hand a little, to tell me to breathe, that I would do fine, and to trust that yes, I would be able to do a good job of homeschooling.

Thanks! I was feeling like I HAD to find a group to be a part of and I was dreading the thought of another activity being added to our calendar. Good to know that attending a weekly group isn't the norm...I think I will have my hands full just getting into the swing of homeschooling.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Well, you defined them as playgroups. I have never seen of a homeschool playgroup, so I am not quite sure... but I know lots of areas have support groups, associations, and co-ops that offer support (classes, etc.).

Also, not all groups are weekly. Just to keep that in mind!

I know a homeschool group in my area that has an evening "mother's meeting" once a month. To me, that would be a great benefit (if I got along well in the group) to be able to get advice, ask questions, and just talk about how your DC are doing on a regular basis. I found another co-op (much further away) but they had a lending library for homeschooling curriculum.

Anyway, if you are looking for an informal play-experience, I would just keep doing what your doing since your kids sound like they have lots of activities. :) Maybe it just can't hurt to find out what resources are available for local homeschoolers and see if you connect?