Menu

Math-accelerated 5th grader: next year's plans?

Looking ahead a bit... Ds11 (fifth grade) is finishing Saxon 7/6 and also LOF Pre-Algebra (without doing the science parts). He's had no major problems with these.

I'm wondering what to have him do next year. I'll probably continue on with Saxon 8/7 (which is their pre-algebra IIRC), and possibly also have him start LOF Algebra as a supplement. I like the idea of working ahead into Algebra in a fun, light way.

I guess I don't want to overwhelm him (he overwhelms easily), but I want him to work at the highest level of which he's capable. Thoughts?

TIA,

Have you looked into ThinkWell, which is online based? They have placements tests that you can take and also sample lessons.

What about Art of Problem Solving? They have a text and student workbook along with their free online Alcumus program and supplemental online videos that explain the concepts. AoPS is recommend for students who have strong math abilities.

Heather (also from TX)

Ds did Algebra 1 (Dolciani) in 6th grade. It worked fine for him and he has gone on to do Honors Geometry and Algebra II without any problems. Some kids are just ready. If my dd is ready for algebra in 7th grade, I'll be shocked, lol, but for ds it was absolutely the right choice.

If your ds has done well up to this point, don't second guess the next step. You can always slow down if he hits a wall -- but there's no reason to think he's particularly more likely to hit a wall than any other kid with similar preparation (regardless of age).

Have you looked into ThinkWell, which is online based? They have placements tests that you can take and also sample lessons.

Heather (also from TX)

I've heard of Thinkwell, but never looked at it. Maybe I'll have him do some placement testing and see if he likes it.

Ds did Algebra 1 (Dolciani) in 6th grade. It worked fine for him and he has gone on to do Honors Geometry and Algebra II without any problems. Some kids are just ready. If my dd is ready for algebra in 7th grade, I'll be shocked, lol, but for ds it was absolutely the right choice.

If your ds has done well up to this point, don't second guess the next step. You can always slow down if he hits a wall -- but there's no reason to think he's particularly more likely to hit a wall than any other kid with similar preparation (regardless of age).

Good advice--I do tend to overthink!

If he's a mathy kid that likes to work on challenging math problems, then I'd look at Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra - take it at whatever pace is appropriate.

I will look at that as well. Although "protests working on challenging problems" is a more accurate description of him! :)

I am planning on using ThinkWell Pre-Algebra along with AoPS Pre-Algebra with my math-inclined 9 yo. I expect the ThinkWell to be easy for him and the AoPS to be challenging, so I wanted a balance of both. I want ThinkWell to teach him the basics and I want AoPS to challenge him to use that math in creative problem solving.

I am planning on using ThinkWell Pre-Algebra along with AoPS Pre-Algebra with my math-inclined 9 yo. I expect the ThinkWell to be easy for him and the AoPS to be challenging, so I wanted a balance of both. I want ThinkWell to teach him the basics and I want AoPS to challenge him to use that math in creative problem solving.

I also like the idea of using two programs; one harder and one easier.

Dd 12 started 1/2 in 5th and is now doing Alg. 1. We skipped the first 30 or so chapters b/c we don't take a summer break. Over the summer we do the LOF books w/one Saxon lesson a week. At this point she's going to do half of an Algebra 1 lesson/day b/c it is starting to take her a very long time to do her math. And while I think it's ok for someone in high school to spend 90 mins. to two hours on math, I don't think it's ok for a middle schooler (unless they want to of course--not the case here). She should finish Alg. 1 by the end of 7th grade (with LOF interspersed).

Laura