Menu

Do I really need this for Sonlight Science A?

icngirl119

Just wondering if anyone with experience teaching Sonlight's Science A can help me out here...I'm planning on using it next year. I am currently using Core A for my 5 year old but I purchased an older version of the Usborne Children's Encyclopedia (not Internet-linked). I'm wondering if I should purchase the IL version to do with him for Science since it's also included in that curriculum. Do you find the IL component to be valuable for your child? Thanks so much for your help!

I like having the exact version because my kids like going over the SL questions, and doing that with an older version of the book is impossible. We used a used copy of Mysteries and Marvels of Nature this year in Core D, and we couldn't use any of the questions provided with the SL science. Likewise with the science encyclopedia. Our version was different and the suggested activities and questions didn't line up. It drove me nuts and I'm going to just buy those type of books from SL from now on. It might not bother you though, so I can't say it's necessary.

I like having the exact version because my kids like going over the SL questions, and doing that with an older version of the book is impossible. We used a used copy of Mysteries and Marvels of Nature this year in Core D, and we couldn't use any of the questions provided with the SL science. Likewise with the science encyclopedia. Our version was different and the suggested activities and questions didn't line up. It drove me nuts and I'm going to just buy those type of books from SL from now on. It might not bother you though, so I can't say it's necessary.

This is what I experienced, too. I had an older core A and new science A, so I started using the older Encyclopedia with science. The pages don't match and the information is different. So if you plan to use the worksheets for science, you can't necessarily find all the information.

I ended up just buying the new Encyclopedia and it's so much easier. We sometimes use the links, which is an added bonus. It's a good book if you're dc like the Usborne science.