Menu

writing their own narrations (a WWE 2 question)

So, my twin girls are 8, loving the practice and stories of WWE 2, but they are not overly fond of writing. I've noticed this phenomenon this year: If I ask them to WRITE their narrations (summaries), they write the shortest sentences they can think of. But if I ask them to narrate them to ME, and *I* write them, they write really strong sentences, competent summaries, and have a lot of fun doing it.

Recently I've been having them copy over some of the narrations, which they don't really mind doing. :glare: But every time I suggest they do their own, I get those Mickey-Mouse sentences.

So . . . since (for me) the point of WWE is the summary and sentence-composition, I've gone along with this plan all year, but I'm wondering - at what point do I make them write it themselves? And how do I get them to zero in on the sentences, not the lazy-writing-ness?

(They do write in other subjects; it's not as if they never write. They could do better in penmanship, though, which we're focusing on this month and next.)

Hmmm, so I've been browsing other threads, and it seems that lots of moms do the writing / typing for the narrations?

My twins are 8 too. Boys. I'm a little confused. Don't you just follow "day 1" and "day 2" etc. On "day 2" they copy a sentence from WWE2 and on "day 3" you dictate that sentence back. And then "day 4" is narration and dictation. (They narrate an answer. You wait an hour or more and then dictate it back to them to write down.)

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult.

Alley

They're not supposed to write their own narrations in WWE2. They take from dictation one sentence. You are supposed to do all the initial narration writing (I type - much easier).

They're expected to be able to write their own narration by the end of WWE4. You gradually get there.

]They're not supposed to write their own narrations in WWE2. [/b]They take from dictation one sentence. You are supposed to do all the initial narration writing (I type - much easier).

They're expected to be able to write their own narration by the end of WWE4. You gradually get there.

We're only in WWE1, but once a week the child does copywork of their own narration.

My twins are 8 too. Boys. I'm a little confused. Don't you just follow "day 1" and "day 2" etc. On "day 2" they copy a sentence from WWE2 and on "day 3" you dictate that sentence back. And then "day 4" is narration and dictation. (They narrate an answer. You wait an hour or more and then dictate it back to them to write down.)

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be difficult.

Alley

We do follow the Day 1, Day 2 - it's the 3-4 sentence answer on Day 1 and Day 4 that I'm (physically) writing down for them. I don't dictate Day 4's summary back to them to write down on their own (I missed that part :embarrassed: ).

We're new at this, so - thanks for the responses.

Also, I think you just dictate the first sentence of the summary back to them on Day 4, not the whole summary.

Ds tried to give me short narration sentences on Day 4 when he figured out he would have to write one of them down. I told him he could either give me good sentences or I would make up a good sentence for him to write (I may have implied that my sentence would be a bit lengthy :tongue_smilie:). I've never actually had to do it. The threat was enough to get him to give me normal narrations for Day 4.

As I've read the directions, you are supposed to be physically writing down the sentences for them on the days when you read a passage and they narrate back to you. That way they can work on good writing without the pain of having to put pen to paper themselves yet. Towards the end of WWE3 you start slowly working up to having them do a bit more of the writing themselves.

Are you using the workbook or The Complete Writer? I use the workbooks and find them to spell out my parts to play very clearly.

As I've read the directions, you are supposed to be physically writing down the sentences for them on the days when you read a passage and they narrate back to you. That way they can work on good writing without the pain of having to put pen to paper themselves yet. Towards the end of WWE3 you start slowly working up to having them do a bit more of the writing themselves.

Are you using the workbook or The Complete Writer? I use the workbooks and find them to spell out my parts to play very clearly.

OK, that is what we're doing.

(Um. I think if I had read my instructions more clearly, I wouldn't have had to ask this question. I might need to take my own advice to my daughters about reading instructions before asking, eh? :lol:)

I bought The Complete Writer, read it, loved it, and then bought the workbook, too, so we are using the workbook this year.

Thanks, all! :) I feel better now.

I bought The Complete Writer, read it, loved it, and then bought the workbook, too, so we are using the workbook this year.

Thanks, all! :) I feel better now.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, Katie! But if we're doing WWE2, would it be a good idea to also do the Complete Writer?

What ages are the Complete Writer for?

Now I'm all confused! :001_smile: