Menu

What age should you start Lit. Guides?

Lots of boys

It depends on what you want in a lit guide I think.

Basic comprehension questions can be done when they learn to read.

Critical thinking is more of a logic stage skill.

Vocabulary is often a component of lit guides and is appropriate for all ages too I think.

I am fond of the Memoria Press ones at the moment, we are going to use a couple for 6th.

Should is relative. :001_smile:

I don't like to start them until at least 5th grade, maybe even Jr Hi. I like to keep lit time casual, asking for simple narrations/summaries as they go along.

I want to assess what she understands, and I can do that thru narration. I can bring up points she may have missed, and we can simply discuss as we go. I do need to know what she's reading, tho--it's easier to do this "natural style" for read alouds.

We use Veritas Press lit. guides. DD10 completed Heidi first. She loved it.

I let her do it at her own pace. She completed 10 chapters in a few days, then stopped. I haven't pushed it. She seems ready to pick it up again.

Anne of Green Gables is next.

I decided that we would read a lot of classic literature, but not do lit guides for them. Instead we are just doing CLE Reading from 3rd grade through 8th grade. That way they can just enjoy their literature and they can get their analysis through CLE.

Along with CLE Reading ,how many classic literature do your kidz read each year?

waiting for your reply.is there vocabulary lists in VP guides?dear..

Edited by brill123

We use Veritas Press lit. guides. DD10 completed Heidi first. She loved it.

I let her do it at her own pace. She completed 10 chapters in a few days, then stopped. I haven't pushed it. She seems ready to pick it up again.

Anne of Green Gables is next.

Dear Besroma,How many VP literature guides do you use in whole academic year of dd 10?and does your dd 10 also reads other lit. novels other than this school lit.?

is there vocabulary lists in VP guides?

Edited by brill123

We're planning on using CLE Reading starting in 3rd grade for lit analysis.

We used a few Veritas Press lit guides this year for 2nd grade: Pinnochio, Baby Island, & The Railway Children. They are essentially comprehension questions with some projects thrown in. They contain NO vocabulary lists, which really irks me. In the end, I had to read all three books myself to make vocabulary lists, negating the reason for buying the lit guides in the first place. Even with The Railway Children, the comprehension questions didn't even touch on some of the more beautiful parts of the book. Uggh. We did enjoy the paper dolls in the Baby Island guide. But at $12 each, can they not give a vocabulary list?!!

I do like the look of Progeny Press guides and the ones from Memoria Press. If there happens to be one available for a book we're planning to use, I may buy it.