Menu

**Please share ideas for storing kiddos portfolios at the end of the school year!

I have things stored in banker's boxes and labeled which grades are included. I don't have to make an official portfolio in my state, so I just put all I'm saving in there. I have a file folder at the beginning of each grade level that contains our attendance records, lesson plans, and standardized test scores. Behind that I put samples of work.

My friend taught me to bind our own books. She uses that method as her portfolio as well. If some piece of work or project is too big to put in the book she takes a picture of it and prints it out to add into the book.

I wish I had a picture of one of her completed ones. I am supposed to meet up with her tomorrow so maybe I can take a picture and post it then...

Thin portfolios are much easier to store. :D

Seriously - edit, edit, edit. Mine are about 1/4" thick, but full of substance. Include only the best, representative work, or things that have sentimental value. One science fair report can represent writing, spelling, grammar, math, and science, and may be a little art depending on the topic and/or the display. Especially for older kids, one end-of-year culminating report or project or cumulative exam can sum up a whole year's worth of work/growth. Writing a summary can cut down considerably on paper - check out my "portfolio summaries" page on my web site. I either use comb binding or bind with thick thread, which avoids the bulk of a binder.