Menu

CC and Math/LA Program

Nickster

Hello moms,

We posted something on here and got great advice and have tentatively decided on a couple of things and are desperately seeking advice on a couple of other things. We are going to visit the local Classical Conversations group on Wednesday. My wife and are interested in this. Our sons will be 6 and 4 in July before the classes start. We plan to enroll the 6 but aren't going to do any formal stuff with the 4. We are very interested in the classical model, believe in memorization, believe that God should be the focus of education, and Julie really seeks help in curriculum as we start.

The woman we talked to said we would need to follow our own la and math programs. I've asked about this before but now that we've decided to get started am going to ask again. Nicholas was taught to read before he tuned 4 with the 100 ez lessons book. He is a voracious reader and reads and comprehends the niv, lhonthep, etc. He has had no formal type of reading lessons since he was 3. We want to use a phonics program, but as I look over the options, k and 1St curricula are below his level, so we don't really know we're to jump in. He doesn't need alphabet and knows many blends and diphthongs intuitively but needs to start systematically studying those things.

I am a hs teacher, so money is certainly a factor, but we are willing to sacrifice.

What are some possibilities on la curriculum and math?

Thanks ladies.

Nick

Welcome,

I'm not clear what you want out of a Phonics program with a good reader, but if you want to work on blends and dipthongs, I'd consider either Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching Reading which will work through everything and gives a strong foundation to 4th grade reading. However, you might be interested in a rules-based spelling program instead, like All About Spelling or the new Logic of English. (I haven't used either of these programs, but they're worth looking into). We use Spelling Power which is a one-time spelling purchase with words from K-12 and is non-consumable. It isn't as rule based as I expect others are, but it is doing well for my natural spellers.

For math, I will recommend MEP which is free download that requires printing. We love it, but it is advisable for the teacher to be comfortable with math and able to solve and explain problems in different ways at times.

If you are looking for a L.A. program and plan to stick with the program until the oldest gets to Essentials, I would suggest Shurley Grammar. The grammar in the Essentials class for the most part follows that format and your student will have a very good start when they get to that class.

For a child who is already reading but needs phonics reinforcement, I also would suggest All About Spelling. It goes through spelling rules which are really phonics. CC recommends Saxon for math which has very mixed reviews on this board. It is scripted which makes it easy for a newby homeschooler. I personally use a mix of Singapore math and Horizons math for my 1st grader. I never try to match them up, but Horizons gives the extra practice that is missing in Singapore. Singapore gives children a really good grounding in manipulating numbers and knowing how math works.

Beth

Edited by bethben

For math, I will recommend MEP which is free download that requires printing. We love it, but it is advisable for the teacher to be comfortable with math and able to solve and explain problems in different ways at times.

I agree...we love MEP too. Although, you might want to take some time to think about what you want in a math program as there is a lot of variety. If you just want a 'get-er-done' type of math program that teaches kids how to solve problems, gives them practice, and then moves on, then a program like MEP would not be a good fit. MEP would be a good fit if you're looking for a program that promotes conceptual understanding, mental math skills, creativity, and logic.

If you want scripted, shurley grammar, All about spelling, and Saxon are scripted. You will be spending a lot of time on Saxon though which can often be too much for a boy who just wants to run around. Math U See is good for boys since it has manipulatives and it has a video component to watch to teach the teacher how to teach the lesson (they're a five minute lesson) - I think it teaches addition and subtraction very well. There is really no "Classical Conversations" recommended program for Language arts, but they do recommend Saxon for math. If you want specifics for math, just ask on a separate thread and you'll get more answers than you could ever want.

Beth

Singapore and a set of phonics cards could be a choice. You can either do a whole program like Writing Road to Reading or Spell to Read and Write. Either works... At that age, I'd suggest being willing to do phonics cards while they're bouncing if they're active... and doing math for just a bit a day. Lots of math games, books, talking about it... :)

If you stay with CC forever, and your kids enter the challenge program, they will use Saxon. But I think there are stronger programs for younger kids, and you can always transition to Saxon if necessary. We use Right Start and MEP to supplement.

If your eldest is already reading, then he is probably ready for something beyond beginning phonics that you would find in most K/1st grade programs.

I highly recommend reading Unlocking the Logic of English. Your local library probably also has a copy of The Writing Road to Reading. The WRTR is a classic--the Logic of English builds off of that research with the latest info on how the brain processes language. (LoE also includes a few more phonograms than the original WRTR.) LOE has a curriculum as well which integrates learning the phonograms and then learning to spell with vocabulary and grammar--the WRTR also contains these things, but I think LOE lays things out in an "open and go" style, whereas WRTR takes some study to implement. (I haven't used LOE myself, but I am considering it.)

I think FLL does a great job getting kids ready for Essentials. (However - we didn't start CC until my older kids were 5th and 7th grades - so the 7th grader had gone through FLL level 4)

I used 100 EZ with my kids and went straight to reading books when we were done. We used the Bob books, the list at the end of 100EZ and then various readers. DC read aloud every day until i was sure that they had it down pat. By the end of first grade (some by the end of K) the daily reading practice ended.

Spelling Workout is a phonics based spelling program and that may fill in any gaps that you think may still be there while taking care of spelling. My younger children always enjoyed Spelling Workout.

At first grade you should also be doing narrations and copywork.

We've always used Saxon math and like it.

It sounds like the CC director is assuming you will supplement history and science based on the content during the week of CC. That is one way to do it. You will need to be organized with book lists and library trips!

Edited by Brenda in FL

I bought OPGTR because it does "double duty" in my house. I bought the complete set used on the WTM sell page for $30. I suggest the complete set for the 4 year old to start from the beginning. I skip around for my 6 year old since he went through tycr 100 easy lessons and A beka phonics. OPGTR will have your child at a 4th grade reading level.

I bought the Miquon program because I can teach both children at the same time. ( I after school my 6 year old) I also bought a large set of cuisenaire rods. I am using MEP as a supplement for Miquon.

My 4 year old will be part of CC in the fall (mainly to develop classroom schools with mom in the room :) )

I will add to the program as we progress. I want to guard against committing to too many programs. Oh, and read a ton of Great books and have ds read real books rather than readers.

You also need to choose a handwriting program. You can do Cursive First or A beka cursive. If you want to teach italics then use Getty Dubay or beautiful handwriting for kids. If you want a good program for manuscript, I suggest HWOT.

Edited by cabreban

For fits grade we've used the IEW PAL reading and writing program which leads him into the cc IEW essentials class perfectly. What a solid fun program that would fit perfectly with cc. FOr math we have found math u see to be solid and mastery based. My second choice would be right start b

Best of luck deciding every child is different :)

Hello moms,

We posted something on here and got great advice and have tentatively decided on a couple of things and are desperately seeking advice on a couple of other things. We are going to visit the local Classical Conversations group on Wednesday. My wife and are interested in this. Our sons will be 6 and 4 in July before the classes start. We plan to enroll the 6 but aren't going to do any formal stuff with the 4. We are very interested in the classical model, believe in memorization, believe that God should be the focus of education, and Julie really seeks help in curriculum as we start.

The woman we talked to said we would need to follow our own la and math programs. I've asked about this before but now that we've decided to get started am going to ask again. Nicholas was taught to read before he tuned 4 with the 100 ez lessons book. He is a voracious reader and reads and comprehends the niv, lhonthep, etc. He has had no formal type of reading lessons since he was 3. We want to use a phonics program, but as I look over the options, k and 1St curricula are below his level, so we don't really know we're to jump in. He doesn't need alphabet and knows many blends and diphthongs intuitively but needs to start systematically studying those things.

I am a hs teacher, so money is certainly a factor, but we are willing to sacrifice.

What are some possibilities on la curriculum and math?

Thanks ladies.

Nick

Nick, we found ourselves in a similar predicament. DD (5) started reading at age 2 and had a natural knack for phonics and spelling. Earlier last year she tested at a 5th+ reading level, so I'm not sure where she is at now. I think I searched about every option out there to cover "phonics" because I was worried about leaving gaps. Everyone said for K and 1st to just focus on "reading and Math" but I didn't know how to do that with her skill level. I looked at AAS and OPGTR initially because she did not have great motor control at the time. However, I realized that these would move frustratingly slow. We decided on the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading. I saw that all children, regardless of age had to start with level 1 anyways. Level 1 spelling portion covers the equivalent of AAS 1-3. Since we have been using it, DD's fine motor control has greatly increased to where she wants to write paragraphs. I like that it's an All-in-one program so there are no gaps and if one skill is easy, you are still working on other skills. It is also all laid out for you as long as you don't mind watching the DVD's where Mrs. Beers shows you how to teach every element of the program. I like that it is a leveled program so that when you finish one, you simply move to the next. I think I wrote one post about DD not enjoying it as much as I hoped, but I think we were just having a bad week that week. She is loving it now. We had to stop using the student cards and card markings though, because they slowed down the lessons and got more in the way then helpful for DD's learning style, but I can see how the hands on would greatly help other children. We still write out the words and mark them on the paper. Even though the "readers" are beginner levels, she finds it fun to illustrate them, otherwise I might skip them. Anyways, I'm loving PR and just thought I would throw that option out there for a complete language arts.

We also do CC. I tried to line up History and Science this year with CC weeks, but found it worked better to do something else that focused on the same time period for history or similar topics for Science so she would make those connections on her own as reinforcement. Also, we would listen to the songs in the car before learning them at CC so they were already familiar and it was more fun to say "hey, I know that song".

As far as Math, I HIGHLY recommend Rightstart. I also used to think that all Math was the same, but since doing RS, I have a deep appreciation for this program and the mental math it encourages. I have learned to think about Math differently. Both programs are more teacher intensive, but I think it's worth it for a strong LA and Math program. They are also on the pricier side, but I think they are a worthwhile investment. Your other child can also use them and they have great resale value.

Edited by Joyoflearning
clarification

Nick,

I am a CC Foundations director and the Essentials tutor for my community. We chose Saxon math because that it what the kids will do if they go to the Challenge level. It is very scripted. My 4yo is doing Saxon K and is flying through it. (My olders use it, also.)

Also, for LA, I use Saxon Phonics. I love the results of the program....absolutely amazing. But....it is very time-consuming! So, I have mixed emotions as to whether we will stick with it.

I wait to do grammar until they get to the Essentials class.

Here are all of our curriculum choices, in detail:

http://teachingboys.net/2012/03/12/our-curriculum-2011-2012/

If you are wanting detailed info on a typical day in my home (with a 4yo, 8yo, and 10yo) you can read about it on my blog:

Here is our typical day:

http://teachingboys.net/2012/03/09/a-typical-school-day/

Have a blessed day!

Jennifer