Menu

Wondering: are the K12 Human Odyssey books the same as Spielvogel's HO?

We have volumes 1 & 2 of K12's Human Odyssey and the authors are Klee, Crib, and Holdren. Volume 1 covers prehistory thru early Middle Ages, volume 2 covers 1400 to 1910.

HTH

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems Spielvogel's book, World History: The Human Odyssey, is just one large volume. Hopefully, others will chime in and give you a more info about the Spielvogel book.

Edited by masaki

Completely, entirely different. I own them all. :blush:

K12 Human Odyssey is a three volume set (authors were mentioned in a PP), written for 7-9th grades.

Speilvogel Human Odyssey is just one volume, written by, yes, Spielvogel, and written for high schoolers. (You may also hear talk of Spielvogel Western Civ; that's a college text some use for high school).

K12's books are written to go along with their online courses. There are no comprehension questions or end-of-chapter assessments in the texts; those are in the student/teacher pages and online.

Spielvogel's books do have discussion and end-of-chapter assessments in the text.

I much prefer the K12HO. It's written in a much more engaging style, and I think is actually more in depth, because it's got three volumes to tell the story. I find the Speilvogel much drier. I also find the K12HO layout much more visually appealing.

Thank. Where does one find the K12 HO books?

I just bought them used from Amazon (you could also try alibris or half.com). I was able to get them less expensively than direct from K12, and they came like new.

I think they go up in price every now and then when they get talked up here, though - if the price seems exorbitant, wait a while.

Completely different. And I've used both (not because they have the same name). I can tell you that K12's HO is *far* superior to Spielvogel in all ways, with the possible exception that K12's HO is for middle schoolers. If you need an actual high school text, K12's World History: Our Human Story is essentially HO adapted for high school.

Completely different. And I've used both (not because they have the same name). I can tell you that K12's HO is *far* superior to Spielvogel in all ways, with the possible exception that K12's HO is for middle schoolers. If you need an actual high school text, K12's World History: Our Human Story is essentially HO adapted for high school.

I am planning next year to have my grade 8 son do Early Modern/ Modern (in one year) and had intended to use Spielvogel as the spine. If I went with K12's HO, though, that would mean buying two volumes, right (because of where they break chronologically)? And they seem quite hefty--could we actually get through two in one year?

So much for the love affair so many WTM'ers had with Spielvogel a couple of years past!

I am planning next year to have my grade 8 son do Early Modern/ Modern (in one year) and had intended to use Spielvogel as the spine. If I went with K12's HO, though, that would mean buying two volumes, right (because of where they break chronologically)? And they seem quite hefty--could we actually get through two in one year?

So much for the love affair so many WTM'ers had with Spielvogel a couple of years past!

You could easily get through two in one year.