Menu

A Kindle for Historical Fiction?

lillehei

Does anyone have luck finding historical fiction on their Kindle or the Lending Library? Or from your neighborhood library's online database? I had a Kindle respresentative look up the last 8-10 books I ordered for my 5th grader from Amazon in paperback and only 3 of them were there in Kindle.

If you own a Kindle, is it worth it? Can you find the resources you need?

The Kindle e-ink readers are worth it for moms. There are very few child-level readers available for it. Mine is full of pleasure and spiritual reading, educational and parenting theory, and classics (including read-alouds for the kids). The free classics alone make the Kindle a great buy. I have the Bible, the Summa, the entire works of Dostoevsky, some Voltaire, some Plato, all of Hans Christian Andersen's stories, and more ... I didn't have to pay for any of them, and they are searchable and fit in my purse!

If you want something more useful to young kids, try one of the tablet/reader hybrids (Kindle Fire or Nook Color). There are picture books available for those, as well as educational apps.

Edited by KirstenH

I guess I am not familiar with the different ebook formats, but google books (books.google.com) has a lot of free ebooks you can download.

One example I just got was Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne (retelling Greek Myths).

I got the pdf format but the options list says you can get them in either epub or pdf format and lists "tablet" and '"ereader" as some of the reader options.

The Kindle e-ink readers are worth it for moms. There are very few child-level readers available for it. Mine is full of pleasure and spiritual reading, educational and parenting theory, and classics (including read-alouds for the kids). The free classics alone make the Kindle a great buy. I have the Bible, the Summa, the entire works of Dostoevsky, some Voltaire, some Plato, all of Hans Christian Andersen's stories, and more ... I didn't have to pay for any of them, and they are searchable and fit in my purse!

If you want something more useful to young kids, try one of the tablet/reader hybrids (Kindle Fire or Nook Color). There are picture books available for those, as well as educational apps.

:iagree: I love that I can download Andrew Lang's stuff, Heidi, Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, and a host of other random classics for $2 or under. We also have the Oxford Dictionary of English on there and that is immensely useful. I haven't delved into historical fiction specifically. We got The Prince and the Pauper for free or cheap. Does that count? It might also depend on what level and type of historical fiction you're looking for.

Kindle Free books make me wish I could just buy a sdram card with it all on it and eat it.

There's a lot out there.

You can circumvent the experience by downloading the kindle free app reader to your desktop to experiment with what you might get out of it first...but..you can't tote around a million books in your purse you know?

Ours is used daily here also. Great investment.

I love my nook. I have Overdrive access through my library. And I've never purchased a book for it. That said, I don't find a lot for my boys, 8 and 11, to read. I've gotten lots of free classics on it. But the majority of the "children's books" from our library are for teens.

Nicole

Well, our son has vision issues & we were looking at getting a few kindle books that are his required readers this year. I was kinda annoyed only a FEW of those were available as ebooks.. BUT, there are many kids books out there it just depends on what you're after.

As they get to chapter books they are available, but again it depends on the type of book you are looking for. I all most debated getting all our SL books {possible} in ebook format, but it just feels so wrong! :lol: