Menu

Youth in Asia

Grace, your point about the Schiavo case is well taken. I don't really know, but I don't believe the doctors really knew what exactly was going on in her mind either. It could have been nothing or everything, based on the number of cases that have been "irreversible" and lo, they woke up and recovered at least partially! I was trying (badly ) to make the point that she should not have been starved based on such flimsy evidence as to her wishes, or what her brain function was.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So do their deaths, if you believe the verse that says, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." Is artificially prolonging life dishonoring God, if you're a believer?

I believe life AND death, in His time, are precious to God. God reserves the right to be God to himself, and prefers that His creatures not do so. (I am speaking as a Christian here, obviously). He also forbids murder, so euthanasia is out. Because he commands kindness and mercy, wisdom is required in dealing with end of life situations. Medicine is a gift of God and a tool to heal. Not playing God is not the same thing as fatalism. he commands us to do things ( mercy and healing) and not do things (murder).

C'mon Jenny. The comparison was between animals in the pound who are put down every day because they don't have someone to care for them, and the elderly sitting in nursing homes who don't have anyone to care for them.

I have had 2 dogs in 32 years (and I've always had a dog). I love my animals. But to say they have the same value in my life as my grandparents? That's kind of a stretch for me.

Sorry, my husband loved his dog far more than his mother. It's ugly, but it's the truth. Still he was deeply troubled by her pain. It makes me sick that we kill animals in shelters due to our "mismanagement" of nature, so why should be be surprised we mismanage ourselves.

I believe life AND death' date=' in His time, are precious to God. God reserves the right to be God to himself, and prefers that His creatures not do so. (I am speaking as a Christian here, obviously). He also forbids murder, so euthanasia is out. Because he commands kindness and mercy, wisdom is required in dealing with end of life situations. Medicine is a gift of God and a tool to heal. Not playing God is not the same thing as fatalism. he commands us to do things ( mercy and healing) and not do things (murder).[/quote']

What if a believer chooses to end his or her own life? (And I know that some hold that deliberate ending of life is sinful.) Is it their choice to make, or must they let natural processes continue? And if natural processes are desirable and suffering is honorable and serving a higher purpose, why even allow morphine? Is morphine and pain control a slippery slope toward euthanasia and not allowing suffering to have its greater and intended purpose?