Menu

Does this Algebra program exist?

Dd is ready for Algebra next year. We've been using MUS for the last 3 years and love the mastery approach, but she is interested in a STEM career and I'm not sure it is enough. Ds supplements MUS with LOF and that works great, but dd isn't a LOF person.

What we like and want in a math course:

Mastery based

Plenty of review

I like video lessons, but she doesn't use the ones with MUS, I teach it, so I guess it isn't critical :glare:

We're not interested in a spiral program. She used a spiral math in ps and while her grades were good, her understanding and confidence were terrible. I'm also not interested in TT. That wouldn't be a step up from MUS. Also, she likes interaction with people, not computers. I don't think anything computer based would be a good option.

I bought Lial's. I tried BCM with ds, not a hit. I looked at Algebra for dd, but there isn't enough review.

Jacobs looks like fun to me and I think ds would like it, but not dd.

I see great reviews of Forester's but there are no samples online and I don't know if it has enough review.

Someone tell me if this algebra program exists, please!

It depends on what you mean by "plenty of review." Foerster has end of chapter review sections, like most mastery texts. I have not used it, but I assume earlier concepts are necessary for later ones (is that different from your experience with MUS?). Foerster has a great reputation for clearly explaining concepts. It may be easier to add review from another source (say, the end of chapter reviews of another text) than it may be to find a text with more "review" that has such high quality explanations and rigorous exercises so befitting a student considering a STEM future.

Similarly, AoPS has end of chapter review sections, but generally the concepts learned are incorporated into later concepts. The author is working on more videos, which are quite enjoyable.

ETA, Foerster is available cheaply used. The later editions are nearly identical.

Edited by wapiti

This isn't an AoPS child. She isn't gifted at math by a long shot. She does fine, but it is not her strength.

She is interested in Physical Therapy and other health related careers. She won't be an engineer. However, Physical Therapy requires calculus based Physics and 5 semesters of Chem. It isn't the most math intensive career option, but it isn't light.

The cartoons, the chattiness. It is like Steve Demme's sense of humor or LOF in it's personality. My ds would think that was all great. My dd would roll her eyes and be annoyed :lol:. It's just a personality thing. I looked at the samples on google books and the amount of review included looks good. It seems like a gentle Algebra program and I think she could do it, I'm just hoping there is something that would be a better match to her learning style. She inherits enough that matches her big brother's learning style more than her own as it is.

Here are my suggestions:

Chalkdust - they use Larson for Algebra which you can just get used on Amazon/Ebay and also if you want the DVDs you can find those used as well

Derek Owens Algebra - does not use a text, just a workbook and videos, this would be the way to go if you did want to use videos

http://www.derekowens.com/course_info_algebra1.php

Algebra A Fresh Approach

http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/textbooks-c-1.html

What I would do is pick a program that appeals to you and your dd the most and then just supplement with other stuff for additional review. There are things like Thinkwell, Khan, etc that have videos if you need to supplement or you can pick up additional Algebra workbooks to reinforce concepts. Maybe something like this: Algebra (Straightforward Series)

Edited by txhomemom

Does Math Relief use a text book, worksheets or where do the practice problems come from?

The dvd course includes a set of worksheets and an answer key with the problems worked out. These are reproducible. There is no textbook so if they need to review the lesson they just watch the dvd again. The explanations are very thorough on the dvd.

Does Math Relief use a text book, worksheets or where do the practice problems come from?

There are worksheets for each lesson, and the answer key has all the solutions written out, often with additional commentary to explain what's going on.

You might be interested in this thread, where some of us talked about our experiences with Math Relief. I actually liked the Algebra II program so much (and my dd was using Foerster's) that I recently bought Algebra I as well, for the younger kids (who are using Jacob's and AoPS, respectively).