Menu

Any reviews for The Creative Writer?

We got our copy a few weeks ago and are working through the poetry section in combo with the poetry section of Figuratively Speaking. We are doing it on Fridays like SWB suggested with M-Th being WWS. The first two weeks in the poetry section are writing an alphabet poem and writing an acrostic.

Jury is still out on how well I like it. It definitely is a change of pace from WWS, which is good considering how much grumbling I'm getting over that program :tongue_smilie:

I love it. My older three boys are working through it (they're on Lesson 2), but I've read it twice. It's the most methodical approach to creative writing I've ever seen. Not that I've looked at a ton of options (I don't believe creative writing is necessary, but my boys chose it), but it's really a great step-by-step program.

My oldest is working through it on Fridays and absolutely loves it. This is what he looks forward to each week. I was shocked that he can write 500 word narratives and they are pretty good. He can't wait to get to write his own short story. I am hoping they come out with a Creative Writer 2, other wise we will most likely go through the book again. I think a year or two later he will get alot of the book again as there is enough in there for kids that want to learn creative writing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is the TOC from CBD complete? I can't tell. It looks like the TOC might be more than one page?

"Mentor Materials for Part II, page 189"

But it sounds like doing CW once a week all year is enough? Where can I find SWB's comments on the TCW and WWS?

Thanks!

I thought I saw somewhere that TCW was designed to be used as a Friday writing program, after you had used your regular program during the week. Can't remember where I saw that now! But that is our plan for using it next year in 6th.

Is the TOC from CBD complete? I can't tell. It looks like the TOC might be more than one page?

"Mentor Materials for Part II, page 189"

I'm answering my own question. No, the TOC is not complete at CBD. I finally looked deeper at the image, and it only shows up to week 18 out of 36 weeks. The CBD product description tells you how many weeks and the numer of pages.

FYI...:tongue_smilie:

I just saw on Amazon that level 2 and 3 will be coming out in September and December.

My oldest is working through it on Fridays and absolutely loves it. This is what he looks forward to each week. I was shocked that he can write 500 word narratives and they are pretty good. He can't wait to get to write his own short story. I am hoping they come out with a Creative Writer 2, other wise we will most likely go through the book again. I think a year or two later he will get alot of the book again as there is enough in there for kids that want to learn creative writing.

I thought I saw somewhere that TCW was designed to be used as a Friday writing program, after you had used your regular program during the week.

Yes, I think SWB mentions that in one of her YouTube videos.

My oldest is about halfway thru TCW. It's non-consumable - all you need is the little book and some paper. Everything in the book is very self-explanatory. There is an early section on "To the Mentor" and that made me realize that my daughter would get more out of it if we worked thru the book together. She reads thru my writing and I read thru hers. Stuff like Mapping a Story with Plot Points...we've done together on a dry erase board.

Anyway, we both give TCW is huge thumbs up. :thumbup1: