Menu

Siena College in NY

Myra

Could someone give me a heads up on Siena College? At their open houses, they stated that although they are Catholic-based but all denominations are welcome.

How relaxed is the learning environment religious-wise really? Our family is

very electic in our religious beliefs and while we wouldn't mind learning about various religions and seeing some students following the Catholic traditions, would my kid feel like the "odd man out" or "just another student" or will he constantly be defending his non-religious background?

Thanks!

Myra

Sienna is right down the road from where my dd goes to school, in Troy, NY.

I do not know much about Sienna, but Troy is a pretty rough neighborhood, sort of like the bad ones I grew up in. It can be dangerous, especially to someone that is not streetwise....like my dd. Had I known the whole story, I would have NEVER sent my dd there. The campus security is a bad joke, and there are issues daily....shootings, drug busts etc. in the city.

Sienna is a bit outside of Troy proper, so maybe a bit better....but the kids from RPI, Sienna and Russell Sage tend to hang out together....in Troy...:tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I would take the neighborhood issues into consideration when choosing a school. There are many good and honest people in Troy, my oldest dd and her husband for example. ( They moved there to be close to 2nd dd and keep an eye on her and be there for emergency help if ever needed. ). I didn't check this out as carefully as I should, and dd received a huge scholarship that clinched the deal for us. I am holding my breath until dd finishes up in May. Every day that there is no major drama is a good one.

Siena is in Loudonville which is NOTHING like Troy. Loudonville is an upper middle class suburb and Siena is surrounded by neighborhoods where the houses still sell for $750,000 +. One of the nicest things for Siena students is that they are generally very well liked and welcomed by the surrounding neighbors. Colonie ( Loudonville is in Colonie) has been consistently rated one of the top ten safest towns in the country.