Menu

After Miquon... MEP

Grover

DS is about 4 pages from the end of Miquon purple. He's loved it, and done well with it. I had hoped to switch him to Beast Academy but the cost of shipping has ruled that out for us now, so I'm back to my plan B which is MEP. BUT... what level do I start him on? He's got very good mastery of everything Miquon has covered, can add and subtract as many digits as you like with ease, multiply and divide 2 and 3 digit numbers mostly reliably (could do with more practice) and can add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions happily. He hasn't had a lot of exposure to decimals (only for common fractions - he still tends to translate decimals into fractions to work with them).

Is there a placement test for MEP? Or suggestions from those who have been before?

Miquon Purple coincides mostly with Singapore Primary Math 3A, plus Time from 2B, and some topics (Whole Numbers, Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers and Fractions) from SM 4A.

Can you use this info to find the correlation with MEP?

Here are some threads with more info: one, two.

DS is about 4 pages from the end of Miquon purple. He's loved it, and done well with it. I had hoped to switch him to Beast Academy but the cost of shipping has ruled that out for us now, so I'm back to my plan B which is MEP. BUT... what level do I start him on? He's got very good mastery of everything Miquon has covered, can add and subtract as many digits as you like with ease, multiply and divide 2 and 3 digit numbers mostly reliably (could do with more practice) and can add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions happily. He hasn't had a lot of exposure to decimals (only for common fractions - he still tends to translate decimals into fractions to work with them).

Is there a placement test for MEP? Or suggestions from those who have been before?

I don't think there's a placement test, but you can see the scope & sequence for each level. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm and click on "Scheme of Work." It's a .pdf.

There ARE MEP tests. You can find where they occur in the scope and sequence and then find them in the practice book. Alternatively, you could join the MEP Yahoo group and there you can find a link to the tests with an email to email for a password to allow you to view the tests. From there, you could use those tests to find where he may place.