Menu

Act-science section help please-math too

i am looking for ways to prepare my daughter for ACT science section. Science in not something she likes much, but she does o.k. I have found if she doesn't like something, she doesn't remember much. So......how can i help her prepare for the science section, like the charts/graphs analysis portion? Or any other recommendation? I will have her take the PLAn in the fall but would like to start gradually including some small prep for areas that may make her anxious-like math and science.

Any advice would be greatly appreicated!!!!

thanks

pam

The ACT Science section isn't about remembering anything. There are likely to be sections about Science topics that no high schooler has studied. It's not about knowledge at all.

It's all about interpreting what's been presented, including lots of charts, graphs, and tables. The way to prepare is to do LOTS of ACT practice tests -- online, from books at the library, etc., being sure to read and understand the explanations for all answers, including the ones that were correct.

The ACT Science section isn't about remembering anything. There are likely to be sections about Science topics that no high schooler has studied. It's not about knowledge at all.

It's all about interpreting what's been presented, including lots of charts, graphs, and tables. The way to prepare is to do LOTS of ACT practice tests -- online, from books at the library, etc., being sure to read and understand the explanations for all answers, including the ones that were correct.

:iagree: There are books and videos with tips, but the best advice it to practice, practice, practice.

If you don't want to practice whole tests, you can take parts and work them into an assignment here or there - seeing graphs/charts, etc, and reading them. Being able to do it quickly and correctly is the key. There are sometimes one or two questions on actual science knowledge, but certainly not many.

I've seen the following recommended as good prep for the Science section of the test and a friend attested that her daughter found it helpful.

from SuperMagnetMan.

This is the practice test that is used in the video:

http://www.collegetidbits.com/tools/preparing-for-the-act.pdf

http://www.collegetidbits.com/tools/preparing-for-the-act.pdf

Link courtesy of klmama.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni