Menu

Does anyone have a dedicated science table?

I'm not just talking about a nature table to display artifacts, but a place that you can set up experiments and leave them without them being in the way of everything else.

Right now we tend to gravitate to the kitchen for science both because the light is better and there's the sink and all. But then it's frustrating if it's something that needs to sit [like growing seeds or crystals, etc.]. Our house is not small by any means, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this. It also needs to be somewhere the cats and toddler can't disturb things.

Anyone have inspiration, tips, advice?

Thanks!

We have a folding, adjustable height, 6' x 3' table off to one side of our kitchen nook, along the windows that get southwest sun in the afternoon; the height was adjusted to be a good height for DS7 to work standing at it when he's doing things at that table. It's always got something going on it, seeds germinating, a building project in progress, supplies for something or other, tools, etc. Some equipment is kept in our schoolroom (dining room) for safe keeping (microscope, digital camera attachment, slides, etc.) and we'll bring them over to the table when needed, but don't keep them there all the time (I'd hate to see the microscope accidentally knocked off the table).

At the moment, we have a science area in the kitchen that stays up. It is on a baker's rack, near a large window. We, too, need to keep items out of little hands, so the bottom shelf does not hold anything unsafe.

This is where we keep our microscope, test tubes, beakers, flasks, and the much-loved but not often used bunson burner. It's perfect for plant experiments, with the light from the window.

It's not ideal, being in the kitchen. It gives our home a permanent "homeschool" look. But since I've embraced that as my new decorating theme, I'm somewhat okay with it!

I would love to hear about others' permanent science areas, for inspiration.

yea, it's called our basement....

My four kiddos are on a Science Olympiad team (actually three teams within one club) and the basement floor as well as a beat up table down there are home to two Rube Goldberg devices and a laser shoot board right now. Oh, and don't forget the robotic arm.

Upstairs (main floor) we have four bins (each a bit bigger than a cubic foot) for different subjects (this year it's forestry, rivers and lakes, aquifers, and microbes) as well as a some various notebooks hanging out. And one big box full of supplies to make aquifer models.

I sort of dream of a science table too -- it would be an improvement (sanity wise) to the science house we're living in now.