Menu

Help! Booster seat for lap belt only...

Another former CPST here and I agree with the consensus of the other techs that this is not a safe option for transporting your child.

As to the 'we did it and we survived just fine' comments...there are many things that the older generation thought were okay, but turned out to have horrible consequences, (asbestos and Thalidomide just to name a couple.) But now that we know better, we have moved on to safer options.

Child passenger safety should be no different - yet may people are 'stuck' with the outdated notion that child safety seats just aren't all that important. :(

One option is to change the seatbelts.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html

Another option is to change the seats in the van. This may be pricey and may not be helpful. Here is one example:

http://www.mobilityengineering.com.au/van-seats.htm

Another option is to take the van to a dealer and ask about how to make the van more safe for children.

The OP has to work with what she has. I'm sure she knows all about child safety in cars and how effective different types of seat belts are. Saying that the van is not a safe option is not helpful when her husband is buying the van today. Vans have not been made illegal for children to ride in. Let's find solutions that could help her.

Ok, since this is happening there are options. However, none are cheap. Is dh willing to pay for a higher weight seat or vest? It could be as much as $250.

Cheapest options:

Vest

Y-harness and booster

retro-fit a shoulder belt and use the booster you have

More expensive:

Diono Radian (57")

Britax Frontier 85 (about a 20" torso height)

If she must ride in the van, the front seat with the seat all the way back, booster and lap/shoulder belt is safeR than sitting in a lap only belt.

If anyone sits in the lap only belt please make sure it is pulledvery snugly across the hips/upper thighs.

A top tether anchor is what you would hook the top tether to. For a forward facing seat it MUST be an approved anchor (that's different for RF approved seats).

According to my chart a '91 should be able to have a top tether anchor installed and a Chevy dealer should do one for no charge. The need to order a Child Restraint Top Tether Hardware Package. According to service bulletin #99-09-40-004a the parts and installation of one top anchor is free of charge. Plus, the price of the vest/Y-harness or harnessed car seat.

Or, a shoulder belt retro-fit for that vehicle should be around $100-130 if dh can install it himself AND the proper holes and frame are already available. If dh decides to do this I can get him more specific info.

Just a note- your 9th grader isn't safe in the rear either, and starting in '92 you'd probably have some shoulder belts, if dh is willing to look at another seat. Also, at under 15 mpg I doubt you'll be saving anything by taking this van vs 2 vehicles.

:grouphug: I really can not imagine how hard this must be for you. We driver older vehicles, but I've at least felt my kids were safe. :grouphug:

ETA: Here's how to pick a belt: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/replacement-seat-belts-help.html It looks like $65 plus $11 for hardware, plus shipping. Perhaps the cheapest option, and everyone could use it when needed.

Edited by raceNzanesmom

Another option is to change the seats in the van. This may be pricey and may not be helpful. Here is one example:

Another option is to take the van to a dealer and ask about how to make the van more safe for children.

The OP has to work with what she has. I'm sure she knows all about child safety in cars and how effective different types of seat belts are. Saying that the van is not a safe option is not helpful when her husband is buying the van today. Vans have not been made illegal for children to ride in. Let's find solutions that could help her.

However, she was considering using a booster in the back with a lap belt only. The posters (including myself) that were pointing out the fact that that option is not safe, ARE trying to be helpful.

I appreciate everyone's help...I really do.

Thanks for the links. I'll see about calling the dealer too. Thanks for saying the bolded.

According to my chart a '91 should be able to have a top tether anchor installed and a Chevy dealer should do one for no charge. The need to order a Child Restraint Top Tether Hardware Package. According to service bulletin #99-09-40-004a the parts and installation of one top anchor is free of charge. Plus, the price of the vest/Y-harness or harnessed car seat.

Or, a shoulder belt retro-fit for that vehicle should be around $100-130 if dh can install it himself AND the proper holes and frame are already available. If dh decides to do this I can get him more specific info.

Just a note- your 9th grader isn't safe in the rear either, and starting in '92 you'd probably have some shoulder belts, if dh is willing to look at another seat. Also, at under 15 mpg I doubt you'll be saving anything by taking this van vs 2 vehicles.

:grouphug: I really can not imagine how hard this must be for you. We driver older vehicles, but I've at least felt my kids were safe. :grouphug:

ETA: Here's how to pick a belt: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/replacement-seat-belts-help.html It looks like $65 plus $11 for hardware, plus shipping. Perhaps the cheapest option, and everyone could use it when needed.

Thank you for the information and the link. If I need help with anything/more information...I will pm you.

However, she was considering using a booster in the back with a lap belt only. The posters (including myself) that were pointing out the fact that that option is not safe, ARE trying to be helpful.

I would only use a booster in the back with lap belt only if I buy one of those 5 pt harness boosters. I know the booster we have is for lap/shoulder belts and I wouldn't even consider trying to use it with a lap belt only.

Does the van have headrests? The seatbelts are not going to matter much without headrests. I know many older vans did not have those either. I would look at getting new seats for the van that have shoulder belts and newer headrests to support the neck in the event of a crash.

Does the van have headrests? The seatbelts are not going to matter much without headrests. I know many older vans did not have those either. I would look at getting new seats for the van that have shoulder belts and newer headrests to support the neck in the event of a crash.

The bucket seats in the front and the middle are tall. I'm sure the back seat is a bench. I haven't even gotten in it yet to look too much.....I just saw mauve plush seats, green shag carpet, and the van name Tiara stitched in the upholstery....and I wanted to vomit. :ack2:

Glad to help. Truly, PM me anytime.

Head support is important, but not nearly as vital as proper lap/shoulder belt fit. Lack of head support may result in whiplash. Lack of proper belts and fit can result in internal, spinal, head and more serious neck injuries. I'll take the proper fit.

The bucket seats in the front and the middle are tall. I'm sure the back seat is a bench. I haven't even gotten in it yet to look too much.....I just saw mauve plush seats, green shag carpet, and the van name Tiara stitched in the upholstery....and I wanted to vomit. :ack2:

:001_huh: I'm sooooo sorry! :grouphug: