Menu

Just received my Famous Men of Modern Times...

Julie in GA

I had pre-ordered it at a convention last month and it arrived yesterday.

This book would fit well in Year 3 of the standard WTM 4-year cycle, spanning the 15th to 19th centuries, and including both European and American figures.

I can see why the Shearers wrote "Ren/Ref," however. If you go from FM of the Middle Ages to FM of Modern Times, you'll be skipping many great Renaissance artists, and the reformers as well (Huss, Wycliffe, Luther, Calvin, Knox).

I wasn't able to open the Greenleaf catalog.

The Ren/Ref version doesn't sound appealing, but without the supposed-rumored slanted religious figurehead bios, it might be. (Are they as biased as their reputation says?)

So modern times has early American leaders that would go well with SOTW 3?

This may be a really stupid question; I've heard these books mentioned often but I've never been able to get my hands on one...

Is the book literally just *men*? Or is it men, as in humans?

Maybe I'll see if I can find some examples in html instead of pdf. If I find it, I'll come back and post it.

hmmm... my post double posted! I got a message that said the server was busy, and then my message appeared twice.

makes me sound pretty eager. my 5 yr asks questions like that... repeats until someone answers him. ;) too funny.

I just got mine yesterday. Yep, it's men as in the gender not men as in humankind. It is so 'men' oriented that you get figures like Prince Ferdinand of Aragon but you don't get his queen, Isabella. You get Sir Francis Drake but you don't get Queen Elizabeth.

I think this is kind of a huge omission, but in spite of that, the short biographies are so well done and contain so much fact that otherwise gets glossed over that I really like the series. But because of their limitations I definitely see these books as supplemental rather than as history spine.

I have all of them except the Ren/Ref mostly because I'm Catholic and get really tired reading of biased history about the era so I didn't even want to purchase it.

Someone needs to write a Famous Women series, not a reactive, modern feminst view though, but well told and as objective as possible.

Anybody wanna bite?????

Someone needs to write a Famous Women series, not a reactive, modern feminst view though, but well told and as objective as possible.

Anybody wanna bite?????

So, who would we include? Isabella, Elizabeth ....?

Also, how "modern" does the Famous Men of the Modern Ages get?

Stephanie, I was thinking about a list of women in the shower this morning! LOL! The last biography in FMMT is Count Von Bismark (1815-1898). Modern Times would probably be the easiest as women really came into their own. I'm going to mull over who I'd include. For some reason I kind of recall that the Middle Ages book might have had Joan of Arc, but I could be remembering wrong.